switch a motherboard

superhero

My question is whether I need to reinstall the driver for my video card, sound card, etc?

Probably not, but it's a good idea to check and make sure you have the latest and greatest drivers for your hardware once in a while. After you replace your montherboard would be a good time to do that.

And to make this post actually on topic, I think last time I changed out a motherboard I had to reactivate LabVIEW.

Was it a different model? I don't know that there's even an interface to pull something like a serial number for a machine's motherboard, which would make it impossible to generate a hardware ID based off that kind of information. I'll have to play around with Everest later ...

Since Windows XP, Microsoft has used a variety of information to generate UIDs for activation purposes, including CPU IDs, CPU model, memory models, and so on. I don't think a same-model motherboard is a distinguishable, even for them, though.

Edit: D'oh. Forgot that the BIOS probably has a serial burned in.

Edited by asbo

Edit: D'oh. Forgot that the BIOS probably has a serial burned in.

Yup, I'm assuming it was something like that, since the motherboard was identical.

Brand new Dell laptop arrived with the eSATA port not working. Got to watch a tech totally rip the laptop apart and put it back together again. It was cool and disturbing at the same time. smile.gif

Brand new Dell laptop arrived with the eSATA port not working. Got to watch a tech totally rip the laptop apart and put it back together again. It was cool and disturbing at the same time. smile.gif

I've had to do that a few times to my hp laptop thanks to heat issues ... Won't be buying an hp for a while after this :\