Debug Project (String scroll bar)

Howdy!

I am currently working on a simple Debug message system project. Its 2 VI's, one is the console and other is a wrapper for a queue. The console waits for elements in the queue and displays them in the string control on the front panel; and the wrapper is just a VI that obtains, en-queues the message, and releases the queue reference.

My question is I would like the string control to read top to bottom in the order the messages are received and programmaticly(sp) "scroll" to bottom when needed. What I can't find is a way to scroll. I can set if the vertical scroll bar is visible but can seem to find a way to change the scroll position.

I know I could flip everything upside down and have the last message received be the top message, but what would be the fun in that. (It's be like giving up).

Additionally, I would like to have the Send Debug Message.vi check if the Debug console is running and if not; run it. I can get a list of all VI's in memory but I'm not sure how to get a reference to a specific VI. (meaning I'm not sure how to get the full path of a VI in memory) I remember reading about someone having an Abort all Running VIs but can't find it. I would think that would have my answer.

I have attached what I currently have.

Thanks for your help

Debug.zip

My question is I would like the string control to read top to bottom in the order the messages are received and programmaticly(sp) "scroll" to bottom when needed. What I can't find is a way to scroll. I can set if the vertical scroll bar is visible but can seem to find a way to change the scroll position.

Hi Ryan

Use the Text - Scroll Position property node to move the scroll position.

post-10325-126033017282_thumb.png

Additionally, I would like to have the Send Debug Message.vi check if the Debug console is running and if not; run it. I can get a list of all VI's in memory but I'm not sure how to get a reference to a specific VI. (meaning I'm not sure how to get the full path of a VI in memory) I remember reading about someone having an Abort all Running VIs but can't find it. I would think that would have my answer.

In order to get a reference to a VI in memory...

post-10325-126033081369_thumb.png

The other way would be to check for an error returned from the Open VI Reference function if the VI is not in memory. It's up to you.

Cheers

JG

• Like 1

Thanks,

I figured was a property node for setting the scroll position, I was simply looking in the wrong spot. :frusty:

I didn't realize that the Open VI Reference would except the VI's name. Guess it would help to read the help files sometimes.

No dramas,

You pick stuff up as you go, always heaps to learn with this stuff.