LV 2009 Language Display Problem

Sparc

Given that the following VI is made in an English version of LabVIEW on an English version of Windows (Vista) and has never sought to be international, can someone tell me haw this happens and how to fix it?

All scales and Timestamp controls on my Front Panel are in Chinese (I think it's Chinese). All numbers, labels and enum text on my block diagram was Chinese for a while too, but somehow that has been sorted.

This happened after I created an EXE Build Specification in my project and merely clicked on the "Runtime Languages" option. The config page took a while to load and after it did, bang!, Chinese (I think I saw the VIs flicker in the background, but Vista and LV seem to do this all the time anyway). I did not change any settings on the Runtime Languages screen. I was just clicking through the pages to ensure I hadn't missed any important settings.

Since then I have modified the RunTime Languages options to Support only English, but my Front Panel is still confused.

Any ideas?

post-1232-126040129791_thumb.png

It wasn't in LV 2009, but there was another thread about a problem like this. Looks like the "fix" was to restart LabVIEW and build it again.

For me it's both the development environment and the exe. LV has been restarted several times. And the EXE built several times. It persists.

I'll do a proper full PC restart after some file transfers complete.

In the mean time, enjoy my block diagram.

post-1232-126040708107_thumb.png

Edited by Sparc

... Just looking for some way to make LV realize what it's doing is wrong. tongue.gif

That is funny.biggrin.gif Maybe NI needs (more/better) quality control person to look after this, it is all in the details. I happen to be doing this type of work lately, my programmers keep writing in none-english (sure, it is easier for them) and I have to correct every corner and keep nagging (a nagging "old" woman soon will I besmile.gif ). Worst for me is that sometimes I also miss the spots since all characters are so understandable for me and I thought they were Englishtongue.gif .

Worst for me is that sometimes I also miss the spots since all characters are so understandable for me and I thought they were Englishtongue.gif .

It's really funny how flexible your brain is. I can (for me) seemlessly switch between dutch and english. Geen probleem. Sometimes I am reading a text and I have to think if it's written in dutch or not.

Ton

It's really funny how flexible your brain is. I can (for me) seemlessly switch between dutch and english. Geen probleem. Sometimes I am reading a text and I have to think if it's written in dutch or not.

I am horrendously jealous of folks like you - really makes me wish I had been raised bi-lingual.

I am horrendously jealous of folks like you - really makes me wish I had been raised bi-lingual.

Me, too.  This reminds me of a joke.

Q: What do you call someone that is fluent in three languages?  A: Tri-lingual

Q: What do you call someone that is fluent in two languages?  A: Bi-lingual

Q: What do you call someone that is fluent in only one language?  A: American

After carefully exam the characters that you guys are cursing, I have to say it is not really "Chinese", it is chinese alike, but it is a mess, those characters mean nothing, but that maybe because you are not running OS in Chinese or Japanese, that is required in order to see what those characters really mean.

But definitely there are some problems with the libraries in LabVIEW. Could that be some plugin that installed in your computer that triggered all characters to jump out of LabVIEW? It makes LabVIEW think you are speaking the character language.yes.gif

After carefully exam the characters that you guys are cursing, I have to say it is not really "Chinese", it is chinese alike, but it is a mess, those characters mean nothing, but that maybe because you are not running OS in Chinese or Japanese, that is required in order to see what those characters really mean.

I think that's because it's not translated -- it's just re-interpreted. That is the underlying binary codes for ASCII "Boolean:Value Change" has stayed the same but it is now interpreted to be unicode characters. Kind of like what happens when you open a unicode 'text' file in a non-unicode aware text editor. It displays 'English' characters but it looks like random typing.

But definitely there are some problems with the libraries in LabVIEW. Could that be some plugin that installed in your computer that triggered all characters to jump out of LabVIEW? It makes LabVIEW think you are speaking the character language.yes.gif

It's a plain install of LV 2009 Pro with nothing else, not even NI DAQ.

The sub-vis in the project appear to be unaffected.

Ton

The following will make me push and then push harder a few times before I figure out the problem.

post-1232-126083699537_thumb.png

Ton

I actually admire your brain, how can you keep a "clear mind" between different languages.

It's a plain install of LV 2009 Pro with nothing else, not even NI DAQ.

Hmm... here is my conspiracy theory. It may not necessary be LabVIEW install, it could be other programs that you installed that leave a hint in your computer and the programmer happened to be an assumption making person, he assumed that you must have wanted to see the characters even you claim so loudly that you only speak English and you have never intended to be international (who caresyes.gif )...

(I mean "the programmer' didn't care, not me smile.gif )

Hmm, I wonder if this has something to do with human rights. By making assumptions the programmer has unconsciously taking away some rights from some people. If human rights are improved, I believe the programming skills will improve too.

smile.gifsmile.gif

Irene

Edited by Irene_he