Women in computer science

Gary Rubin

Back to the original topic (sort of). The Washington Post had an article about the decline of computer science classes in high school.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/20/AR2009122002477.html

Does NI push LabVIEW at the high-school level? Seems like it would be a great introduction, allowing students to learn the concepts without getting bogged down in syntax.

Back to the original topic (sort of). The Washington Post had an article about the decline of computer science classes in high school.

http://www.washingto...9122002477.html

Does NI push LabVIEW at the high-school level? Seems like it would be a great introduction, allowing students to learn the concepts without getting bogged down in syntax.

An answer to both "question" is FIRST Robotics. Dean Kamen started this as a mechanism to get kid interested in science in general (and in computer science since there is a programming part to the challenge). NI, from a year ago, has become a partner and is donating cRIO with LabVIEW copy for programming and controlling the robot.

There might be other effort(s) from NI side, but I do not know about it.

PJM

An answer to both "question" is FIRST Robotics. Dean Kamen started this as a mechanism to get kid interested in science in general (and in computer science since there is a programming part to the challenge). NI, from a year ago, has become a partner and is donating cRIO with LabVIEW copy for programming and control the robot.

There might be other effort(s) from NI side, but I do not know about it.

PJM

I think it would be a good thing to get LabVIEW into the middle schools or high schools outside the scope of the FIRST program.

I don't have any experience with FIRST. I would expect, however, that it provides a cool project for the computer geeks (or is it nerds?), but how many non-computer geeks does it bring in? I'd be curious to hear from those who are involved in FIRST.

• 1 month later...