Data from ADISUSBZ

Cabecinhas

Hi,

I'm a student of Electrical Engineering, Faculdade de Ciências e

Tecnologia of Universidade Nova de Lisboa in Portugal, and at the end

of my graduation I need to finalise my thesis with a research project.

The project consist in the stabilization of line-of-sight with two

angulare axes. We acquired the iSensor (ADISUSBZ) due to their

physical qualities, size and weight, as it will be attached to the

platform so we can read the information from the gyroscope. The

information obtained will be treated externally using LabVIEW for

create the control actions that will operate the servo and we'll get

the desired stabilization.

However, the difficulty it's reading data in Labview, because this

does not recognize the iSensor, hence the various attempts to create a

driver. Therefore, I asked what was the programming language to advise

the implementation of the controller to be able to do read the

iSensor.

I tried that:

Tutorial - NI

Tutorial - Nugget

but never can access the registry with information.

Thanks!

Best Regards.

Hi,

I'm a student of Electrical Engineering, .....

However, the difficulty it's reading data in Labview, because this

does not recognize the iSensor, hence the various attempts to create a

driver. ...

I tried that:

Tutorial - NI

Tutorial - Nugget

Hello,

There are three options here:

1. Since your iSensor comes with an USB interface, ask the vendor if they have a driver DLL that communicates with the isensor USB interface and PC. It looks like it comes with it's own software user interface, so usually they should have some kind driver DLL that user interface software based on. If they do have the DLL, you also need to know the functions included in the DLL, so that you can use LabVIEW "Call Library Function Node" to call the functions, hence create your LabVIEW driver for the sensor.

2. Second options, if you know the commands that talk to the USB interface of the sensor, you can use the Tutorial you mentioned above to try out LabVIEW visa. Tutorial - NI

3. The iSensor (ADISUSBZ) actually is made of two parts, one is sensor board, the other is the USB controller board. I found this NI driver for the sensor board with the use of LabVIEW FPGA. It uses LabVIEW FPGA to control the SPI interface of the sensor board... but for this option you also need LabVIEW FPGA hardware. Since you already have the USB controller board, maybe this option is not the option, I don't know. Anyway, below is the link you can refer to:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/6264

Hope this will give some hints.

Irene

Thanks for the quick response.

You gave me three options:

1st is one that's of interest to me, I have already contacting the vender because of the DLL.

I tried the 2st but is always an error of access to registers.

A 3st is a possibility which I had explained to my supervisor ... everything depends on the availability of funds of faculty and the amendment of the mechanical component.

Now, I waiting the response of vendor sobre the DLL.

I tried several times utilize the block "Call Library Function" how you told me, but I receive always error, that it's error:1097.

I just researched for this error, but don't understand how make, because I never created any driver and the dll for me is the very "strange".

PS: I have the file .dll and others necessary .sys and .inf, told me the vendor

Hello all, after analyzing the .h of the dll, I notice that the functions present on MCP_iSensors_DLL.doc aren't the same.

I wrote to Analog Devices for report this problem, I hope they will tell me how to make, because it should be this problem with the files

I did the one simple thing, that is use direct the block 'Call Library Function' for verify if work well '. dll'

The file '.vi' follow next:

Ler Giro.vi

Edited by Cabecinhas

Hello all, after analyzing the .h of the dll, I notice that the functions present on MCP_iSensors_DLL.doc aren't the same.

I wrote to Analog Devices for report this problem, I hope they will tell me how to make, because it should be this problem with the files

You can actually see the functions included in DLL with LabVIEW call function library node and it seems to match what is in the document. I have attached this screenshot to show the functions in the DLL. There are only three functions that you need to care, I think. Find device, read and write.

I have also created simple found device vi. For the read and write functions, you need to know the register bits meanings and how to combine the low and high data to get the real meaningful data. That part you may need to ask the analog device or study the sensor documents.

post-42-126141556582_thumb.jpg

FoundDevice.vi

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks for your file, but it present the same error than my file: error-1097.

Yes, I only need the two function, findUsb and ReadUsb, the WriteUsb function maybe use maybe not use.

I currently am try the implement de header file for library, because every search I do indicate the absence of the header. I have also tried the library importation with 'Shared Library' in tools, but the same error, without header file.

One more time, thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for your file, but it present the same error than my file: error-1097.

Yes, I only need the two function, findUsb and ReadUsb, the WriteUsb function maybe use maybe not use.

I currently am try the implement de header file for library, because every search I do indicate the absence of the header. I have also tried the library importation with 'Shared Library' in tools, but the same error, without header file.

One more time, thanks.

No, I don't think you need to do anything with header file for LabVIEW, LabVIEW don't need header file to compile. You may ask Analog device for calling order of the functions or even get the source code for their application that measure the data, I think they wrote in VB or other programming languages, but you can take a look just to see how they call those functions and transfer your understanding to LabVIEW. So ask the calling order, which function should be called first etc.

I received the source code, at least that's what the vendor told me.

I have a problem of is not find any file that I can reading ... only '.exe'.

That all I have!

My .vi follow with others files, but error is the same. Can't understand what you mean by the order of calling functions :frusty:

PS: The .dll has been placed in a previous post.

350_Source.zip

ADiS16350_Rev_12_SOURCE.zip

Ler Giro.vi

MCP_iSensors_DLL.doc

Edited by Cabecinhas

I received the source code, at least that's what the vendor told me.

I have a problem of is not find any file that I can reading ... only '.exe'.

That all I have!

My .vi follow with others files, but error is the same. Can't understand what you mean by the order of calling functions frusty.gif

PS: The .dll has been placed in a previous post.

The attached file contains VB source code, not just EXE (by the way the two attachments 350...zip and ADiS16350_Rev_12_SOURCE.zip are the same files to me) , so it should be a good start for you, but only if you understand some VB... Since you are new to LabVIEW (you said you are student), the call library function is actually an advanced feature for new people, but if you understand other programming languages, it should also not be hard... I think you have enough information from analog device now that should get you solve the problem. Another thing, read the MCP_isensor document, it mentions some other files need to be existing, so are they existing in your computer? I don't have much time to look at the VB code for you, you need to reply on yourself now. But I believe you have enough information for your sensor.

PS: you may also try to ask directly for LabVIEW vis from analog device, maybe by lucky they happen to have those vis since LabVIEW is widely used for test and measurement.

Irene

• 6 months later...

Dear Cabecinhas, dear Irene,

Have you ever been successful with the described approach to get data from an ADISUSBZ board to Labview via the MCP_iSensors.dll, posted above?

I mean: Use the LabVIEW "Call Library Function Node" to tie in MCP_iSensors.dll and then call its functions?

I understand there is always the "official way" of connecting the Analog Devices iSensors to the Labview FPGA board, but I'd prefer to use the ADISUSBZ board instead.

Best regards,

Ahkub