Make Window Tranparent

Cool. We can now do arbitrarily-shaped splash screens that fade into view over a second or so. I've been meaning to do that ever since I got .NET but never had the time/motivation/justification.

And I have a big oval with the word "BOO!" in it that occasionally fades in at a random place on the screen and then fades out again.

So is there a real use you had for this? :)

post-10-1079384349.jpg?width=400

Well, I was thinking to use it to overlay my image window to other windows so that user can draw on the image window, but at the same time see the underneath window, for the purpose of some instruction or training software, an idea is if you can overlay on top of your graph and make some marks (circle, rectangle or line) like a professor. I thought other people may be interested in it too, so I donate here. :)

Neat. Surely someone's already done this for IT training? I'd have thought someone with a laptop and projector teaching a class would already have been doing this but I've never looked.

Might also be an easy way of overlaying static or animated illustrations on video footage; Powerpoint NextGen.

We did a project once where we were just scripting video and monitoring the reactions of the viewers. The psychology researchers who contracted us had edited the videos to obscure, for example, the eyes, to observe the effect of reduced information. That would have been a much better system with this to allow them to modify the footage on the fly.

Yes, you are right, the white area would become transparent forever. That is because some bit set of the window need to reset back. I need to finish up the things on my hand before I can take a look into it. I'll keep you folks updated. Sorry for the meanwhile just restart your LabVIEW everytime. I know it's not very nice though, but... ;)

Hello

I just want to mention that there is an other possibility to make windows transparent.

If you only need the feature in WINDOWS OS environment than use the API from WINDOWS itself !

I'm currently working on an OpenG addon for doing such kind of stuff.

If you would like to test my Example VI please put the content of "lvwutil32.zip" in the user.lib folder.

with best regards

Mario

Download File:post-19-1079538066.rar

Well, Irene's post IS using the standard Win API.

I can't get yours to work. It's correctly getting a win refnum but the return from getWindowLong is zero, which I guess is not right.

You're using a sequence unnecessarily; frame 1 is dependent on frame 0 and the code can be in the same frame because dataflow will ensure it works in the right sequence. It may not matter which order the second two function calls take place in either. Sequences with sequence locals and wires backtracking across each other is a pain, IMHO.

I wasn't- I was using "Transparency.vi Front Panel".

But it doesn't appear to work using "Transparency.vi" either, yet again Get Window Refnum is returning a refnum and GetWindowLong is returning zero.

If I deliberately type garbage then Get Window Refnum returns zero, so it seems it IS correctly getting the window at the start.

Curious.

Hello!

I tested the VI called Transparency.vi and it runs...

To test this vi I copied several files to my /LabVIEW7/user.lib folder

LVWUtil32.dll 33kb

MANUAL.WRI 468kb

Readme.doc 24kb

Winevent.llb 541kb

WINKEY.LLB 68kb

WINNET.LLB 51kb

Winsys.llb 164kb

WINUTIL.LLB 646kb

My system: WinXP SP1, LabVIEW7

I testet the VI with different windows, like notepad and so on... and it works...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For me this seems like the transparency after running the vi is actually a redraw-problem.

If you move the help window on top of a white window, background will change back from transparent to white again.

At least for me it does, is the behaviour the same with other users as well?

Furthermore I couldn't download Irene's source code and don't actually know how this is done, thus I'm not able to debug it further. :blink:

Nice thingy, might use it sometime just for fun if I can reverse the transparency programmatically.