Labview For Everyone

Daryl

Speaking of Labview for Everyone, we all know who Jim Kring is, but who is Jeffery Travis and why isn't he on the forums?

Jeff used to be a plretty big playa in the LabVIEW world (he was the guy that started open source LabVIEW), but he hasn't been involved in software engineering in a while (yes, he's the Flatland guy). Jeff wrote the previous editions of LabVIEW for Everyone, which is why, I assume, his name is still on the book - I figure the 3rd edition is mostly Jim's work.

• Like 1

I just wanted to add that I think Labview For Everyone is a great book. It is easy to read, lots of good examples.

I dont want anyone to get the wrong idea, I was just having a little fun while I was waiting for Labview 2009 to install. I would recommend this book to anyone!

Speaking of Labview for Everyone, we all know who Jim Kring is, but who is Jeffery Travis and why isn't he on the forums?

Maybe he's too busy making films? I haven't seen Flatland, but the book was certainly good.

Yep, and he's recently moved his family from Austin, TX to Hollywood, CA. He still does some LabVIEW consulting work.

Jeff used to be a plretty big playa in the LabVIEW world (he was the guy that started open source LabVIEW), but he hasn't been involved in software engineering in a while (yes, he's the Flatland guy). Jeff wrote the previous editions of LabVIEW for Everyone, which is why, I assume, his name is still on the book - I figure the 3rd edition is mostly Jim's work.

Ya, that's pretty accurate :) Jeff did a whole lot of work on the 3rd edition. I did an unimaginable amount of work. I don't have to tell you, crelf, about that ;)

I just wanted to add that I think Labview For Everyone is a great book. It is easy to read, lots of good examples.

I dont want anyone to get the wrong idea, I was just having a little fun while I was waiting for Labview 2009 to install. I would recommend this book to anyone!

Thanks for the kind words and the recommendations. I assumed you were having some fun :)

Cheers

Ya, that's pretty accurate smile.gif Jeff did a whole lot of work on the 3rd edition. I did an unimaginable amount of work. I don't have to tell you, crelf, about that wink.gif

No you don't. I told my wife to beat me over the head with my book if I ever get the idea to write another one :)

That said, I've got an idea to write another one - just don't tell my wife!

Gravity Waves?

Actually they're shockwaves of insight emanating from each reader as they progress through the book. These waves propagate outward spherically (the book cover is merely a 2d projection!) and intersect with the shockwaves produced by other readers, in places like LAVA.

What's interesting is that these waves have special properties.

First, the energy of any point on the wavefront is not a function of its distance from the origin. That's to say that the farther the wave travels and the more people it touches, the more total energy it carries.

Secondly, when multiple waves intersect at a given point, they always interfere constructively.

• Like 1

Speaking of Labview for Everyone, we all know who Jim Kring is, but who is Jeffery Travis ...?

I've been asking myself that same question for many years.:yes:

It's true I live in Hollywood now, but I still use LabVIEW for consulting and for myself. In fact I wrote some VIs to automate a post-production of footage on a film.

Perhaps the mystery of the circles on the book cover can be explained by decoding the binary stream below them...

- Jeffrey

I told my wife to beat me over the head with my book if I ever get the idea to write another one

Another one? Did I miss the first one?

It's true I live in Hollywood now, but I still use LabVIEW for consulting and for myself. In fact I wrote some VIs to automate a post-production of footage on a film.

Sounds very interesting. Did you use native LV toolkits for the processing the video or did you interface to external equipment?

Perhaps the mystery of the circles on the book cover can be explained by decoding the binary stream below them...

Oh, NOW you've done it...

*scrambles to find the book while trying to remember where my ascii chart is*