Locking LabVIEW General for new posts for newbies

I wonder if the LabVIEW General board should be locked for newbies to create new threads in. Almost everybody seems to post nowadays only there creating a long stream of completely unrelated topics in it, while most of the topics clearly belong into one of the sub threads in LabVIEW (By Category).

+1

But how newbie does a newbie have to be? 10, 100, 500 posts?

I think that locking particular forums for newbies isn't the answer for a couple of reasons: the mods will be swamped by "why can't I post in LabVIEW General?" support tickets, and newbies might actually have something appropriate to put into LabVIEW General, and I wouldn't want to stop them from doing that.

Our current policy is that it's the mods' responsibility to move newbies' posts out of LabVIEW General and into a more appropriate place and let the poster know that it's been moved if required. Maybe our mods have become a little too busy to keep that up recently. Maybe we need a couple more volunteers to move posts? I know that there's still a lot of posts in the LAVA 1.0 Content section that need moving - anyone volutneering?

I did volunteer - at the ancient time of LAVA 1.0 - and was accepted as a moderator, and I did spend time everyday to move posts to appropriate sections, I was also making the effort of sending a PM to inform the poster and to - kindly - ask him to try to select the appropriate section himself in the future.

I don't know exactly how, when and why, but my right to do that went away. I imagine the move to LAVA 2.0 is a big part of the reason.

I still volunteer to be a LAVA mod' :yes:

EDIT : and I can prove it :rolleyes:

I think that locking particular forums for newbies isn't the answer for a couple of reasons: the mods will be swamped by "why can't I post in LabVIEW General?" support tickets, and newbies might actually have something appropriate to put into LabVIEW General, and I wouldn't want to stop them from doing that.

Our current policy is that it's the mods' responsibility to move newbies' posts out of LabVIEW General and into a more appropriate place and let the poster know that it's been moved if required. Maybe our mods have become a little too busy to keep that up recently. Maybe we need a couple more volunteers to move posts? I know that there's still a lot of posts in the LAVA 1.0 Content section that need moving - anyone volutneering?

Well. A sticky at the top would dramatically reduce the "Why Can't I" PMs. And although they may have something to put in the general area (although haven't seen many newbies that don't post relevent to their problems), it might be a worthwile excersise to lock it for a short period to "Train" them and ease the workload on the mods for moving them.

Just my 2 cents.:ph34r:

Well. A sticky at the top would dramatically reduce the "Why Can't I" PMs.

Maybe, although newbies (and oldbies for that matter) rarely read the rules - they just expect each forum to operate the way the other ones do, so I'm not sure that would dramatically reduce the support tickets.

I did volunteer... and was accepted as a moderator... but my right to do that went away. I imagine the move to LAVA 2.0 is a big part of the reason.

Oops! No idea why that happened, but I'll see if I can reinstate you...

Oops! No idea why that happened, but I'll see if I can reinstate you...

Okay - you should be a mod now - welcome back! :)