Stop the Madness!

Cat

Neither am I looking forward to the 6-12" forecast for the next storm coming tues/weds. blink.gif If I can ever dig out, I'm moving south.

Move north - we *still* don't have any snow, although we're forecast 7" on Tuesday. I was downtown Detroit on the weekend and there's no snow on the ground at all angry.gif My philosphy is that if it's cold, there should be snow. Cold without snow is just annoying...

Fly north for the winter? Just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Sounds right to me...

I remember being awfully confused as a kid watching movies made in the US that had birds flying south for the winter wacko.gif

I remember being awfully confused as a kid watching movies made in the US that had birds flying south for the winter wacko.gif

I remember when I was a kid wondering something similar about Australia and the rest of the southern hemisphere. Here, "summer", "June, July, and August", and "hot weather" all go together. In the southern hemisphere, that's not the case. I remember wondering if Australians were cold in the "summer" and warm in the "winter".

When you were a kid there was television in Australia? :P I kid, I kid, I know you had TV but it was in black and white.

(Waits to see if Crelf is in a good mood this morning...)

I also was confused when I heard that Christmas doesn't consist of snow angels, and snow fights, or snowmobiling but instead BBQs.

I know you had TV but it was in black and white. (Waits to see if Crelf is in a good mood this morning...)

I also was confused when I heard that Christmas doesn't consist of snow angels, and snow fights, or snowmobiling but instead BBQs.

crelf is always in a good mood! :)

BBQs where you grill while standing in the pool - there's a Christmas for ya! I saw MikaelH actually tweet a photo him doing exactly that this summer/winter:

post-181-12656473135_thumb.jpg

Not sure how I feel about having fudgies (urban dictionary, the first definition not the other two :o) all year round.

I'm *really* glad you clarified that! :lol:

Please tell me I don't have to move to Michigan to get away from the snow :blink:

Michigan is my very favoritest State -- in the summer. Winter's starting to look good too, now...

Can you say... 10-20 more inches tomorrow?? I can't. I'm in severe denial. wacko.gif

Already anticipating the next and we're still dealing with the last. The storm dropped about 25 inches of the heavy wet stuff starting Friday night knocking out the power. We have been huddled around kerosene heaters and oil lamps. Road to my son's place was closed and even the four-wheel drives could not makes due down trees and power lines. They walked part of teh way after leaving the vehicle. Guy with chain saw who was clearing the trees let them ride in the bed of the truck.

We eventually got teh first plow into out neighborhood on Sunday and it managed to slide down into my sister's yard. Took a front end loader to get him out. Gas stations are out of gas. kerosene, Huh!.

I made it into work today with the next round due in about an hour and a half.

My Aunt told me my father "was born in a snow storm so it only fitting that he leave in one."

Ben

Already anticipating the next and we're still dealing with the last. The storm dropped about 25 inches of the heavy wet stuff starting Friday night knocking out the power. We have been huddled around kerosene heaters and oil lamps.

The only silver lining in all of this is that my power has stayed on [knock on wood]. I have a gas fireplace that can put out some heat, but no where near enough to cope with the low temps we've been having. Honestly, if it wasn't for the fear of power loss, by this point I'd just throw my hands up and say, "Bring it on! What's another 20 inches?!" Oh and then there's the fear of my roof caving in...

The only silver lining in all of this is that my power has stayed on [knock on wood]. I have a gas fireplace that can put out some heat, but no where near enough to cope with the low temps we've been having. Honestly, if it wasn't for the fear of power loss, by this point I'd just throw my hands up and say, "Bring it on! What's another 20 inches?!" Oh and then there's the fear of my roof caving in...

I'd like to think that if the power went out here I'd be okay for a while, but let's not forget how wide spread power outages can be while here in south east Michigan. If I had to drive 2 hours north before finding a building with electricity I may panic a little.

Do you guys want to hear about the sunny day we had today? I think it rained a bit at some point but when I came out later, everything seemed dry.

frusty.gif

Sure, right after my house stops smelling like Kerosene oops.gif and I have that tri-fuel emergency generator installed.

I heard that (while we were sitting in a oil lmap lit living room) that the Super Bowl set a new record for number of viewers. Seems to me there should be an asterisk next to that record indicating "Weather assisted".

Ben

Edited by neBulus

Do you guys want to hear about the sunny day we had today? I think it rained a bit at some point but when I came out later, everything seemed dry.

It's sunny here in NJ too! They're calling for 8 to 14 inches tonight and into tomorrow. How can there be so much snow coming when it's so nice out?!

Bruce

"its here!" and its the heavy wet stuff. yes.gif

Ben

"its here!" and its the heavy wet stuff. yes.gif

Good luck!

For tracking progress, I recommend Weather Underground's Wundermap

My 6-year-old loves looking at the animated radar map overlays during summer thunderstorms. If she can see the storm, how much more we have to go, and when it's going to get stronger, she is much less afraid of the storm.

For tracking progress, I recommend Weather Underground's Wundermap

Wow! Lot's of pretty colors (yes, after being pretty much house-bound for 4 days, it doesn't take much to amuse me :))!

Gary, here's a local site that's been doing a great job of predicting totals. They were even spot on with the December storm and predicted the large snowfall long before the NWS/TWC had a clue it was going to be as bad as it was.

http://www.footsforecast.org/

Wow! Lot's of pretty colors (yes, after being pretty much house-bound for 4 days, it doesn't take much to amuse me :))!

Gary, here's a local site that's been doing a great job of predicting totals. They were even spot on with the December storm and predicted the large snowfall long before the NWS/TWC had a clue it was going to be as bad as it was.

http://www.footsforecast.org/

Thanks Cat. I'll have to take a look.

I understand what you mean about being housebound. My big adventure yesterday was walking 2-miles each way to a CVS to see if they had milk (they did).

Woohoo! We finally got some snow!!!

64491515.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1265821819&Signature=rLZInbAT11y03Ei%2BYRdE%2Bv4dYxg%3D

If I ever find myself drowning with you Chris on the boat holding the life-preserver, I will have to rember not to yell "Does anyone have a Life-preserver?" but rather "Please throw that life-preserver!" yes.gif

I live up on a hill who's access round was originally layed out by the mules owned by the miners. The road is now one lane, that is effectively now "One way". The closest cleared place to park my car is now about a mile away if that situation does not change before I get home today. my wife and I both love the beauty of the snow but ones attitude is subject to change when not watching from home.

Ben