simple question about diode

GSR

I learned this topic years ago, and I want someone to confirm my understanding :rolleyes:

Assume I have 2 diodes. The reverse breakdown (BD) voltages are 10V and 6V respectively. They are connected in series.

-----|>|----------|>|-------

| ..............................|

----------- (-8V+)---------

I think if the 10V BD-diode is on the right and the 6V BD-diode is on the left, both of them will still be OK

If they switch the position, the 6V BD-diode will breakdown

Am I right???? :blink:

I learned this topic years ago, and I want someone to confirm my understanding rolleyes.gif

Assume I have 2 diodes. The reverse breakdown (BD) voltages are 10V and 6V respectively. They are connected in series.

I think if the 10V BD-diode is on the right and the 6V BD-diode is on the left, both of them will still be OK

Am I right???? blink.gif

NO, the circuit will not breakdown under 16V regardless. Since the diodes are in series, if a breakdown were to occur, both diode must break down. Think about this way, when Diode A breakdown, that means a high current would pass through Diode A. If Diode B is connected in series with Diode A and a high current is going through on Diode A, the same current must go through for Diode B as well. If high current has to go through Diode B, that means Diode B must breakdown as well.

Yik

The circuit you are describing would look like this ...

------------|>|-------------

| . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

------------|>|------------

----------- (-8V+)--------

Then, one diode may break down before the other.

I learned this topic years ago, and I want someone to confirm my understanding :rolleyes:

Am I right???? :blink:

The order of the diodes should have no influence whatsover, assuming no other environmental influences (PCB leakage currents, dirt, etc) would influence them in one way or the other.