Create Shared Variable from VI

Hi all,

the document at http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4679 in the section titled Programmatic Access says:

"As discussed above, you can create, configure, and deploy shared variables interactively using the LabVIEW Project, and you can read from and write to shared variables using the shared variable node on the block diagram or through front panel data binding. New in 2009, LabVIEW also provides programmatic access to all of this functionality.

Use VI Server to create project libraries and shared variables programmatically in applications where you need to create large numbers of shared variables."

I'm mostly interested in the last part, that is, creating Libraries and shared variables from the VI programmaticly, but I was unable to find the right components to achieve that (I'll keep trying, though). Can someone guide through the process or point me to a VI that does that?

Thanks in advance, Miha

I'm mostly interested in the last part, that is, creating Libraries and shared variables from the VI programmaticly, but I was unable to find the right components to achieve that (I'll keep trying, though). Can someone guide through the process or point me to a VI that does that?

Go to the LabVIEW Example Finder and search for 'shared'. The "Create Online Process.vi" example seemed like the most basic to get started, and then there was a more advanced one.

Go to the LabVIEW Example Finder and search for 'shared'. The "Create Online Process.vi" example seemed like the most basic to get started, and then there was a more advanced one.

Thanks, I also did that. Am I correct in assuming this only works if you have DSC Module installed?

Miha

Thanks, I also did that. Am I correct in assuming this only works if you have DSC Module installed?

Miha

Yes, the DSC allows programmatic access to shared variables, creating SV etc...

LabVIEW 2009 has a Shared Variable API but it is no where near as powerful as the DSC nor can it do what you are asking.

• 1 month later...

Yes, the DSC allows programmatic access to shared variables, creating SV etc...

LabVIEW 2009 has a Shared Variable API but it is no where near as powerful as the DSC nor can it do what you are asking.

You can see this post: XDSC

It seems a powerfull toolkit, but I don't have additional information