Non-Members cannot download old CR versions

I'm not sure that's a bug. In fact, I know of a lot of sites where you can't download *any* files unless you're logged on...

Well I'm not sure if members can download old content since I'm a moderator. Anyone want to try out?

Ton

Chris, registration in general is useless if your aim is to distribute the code. To paraphrase a line from Stephen Hawking, any obstacle you place in the way of downloading will cost you half your downloaders. I know that I wouldn't register unless I *really* wanted to download the code. From that perspective, I agree with the policy Mike stated above.

Which isn't to say there aren't legitimate reasons for requiring registration. I just don't think it's correct for the LAVA CR.

That's not an easy one. I can see strong arguments for and against registration for downloading code. I'm in general agreement with everything mentioned here.

On the other hand, (and I might be wrong but) I'd assume that CR consumes a lot of bandwidth (relative to textual forums). LAVA is being maintained by advertisements and contributions from paying members: restricting download to those who really want the code reduces site expenses (bandwidth) and helps keep it financially viable, thus supporting free code exchange for a longer time. I might be underestimating the bandwidth needed for discussions... or underestimating the revenues generated!

Anyway, just my :69_69:.