High res icons

• 2 weeks later...

Thats true... :oops: I was just looking at the vi, not the app builder.

At least 256 colours on an exe would be nice. Your app looks quite ugly when your customer installs it on an 2k or XP machine.

I tried e.g. Microangelo to add a 256 colour icon, but afterwards my app didn't start anymore.

Didier

• 1 year later...

I know this is a late reply to this topic, but I use a free tool called ResHack to modify the icon in the executable stub that ships with the LV app builder (I use this for 7.0 and 7.1.x, I haven't tried it in 8.0.1 yet) called lvapp.lib which is located in <LV Directory>\applib. You can then go two ways, you can use the built in app builder to build your application and you will have to change the lvapp.lib file everytime you want a new "pretty" icon, or you can use the OpenG builder and perform a pre and post build subVI that renames the original lvapp.lib copies your new one over, then after the app is built, deletes the new lvapp.lib and replaces it with the original.

Chris

I know this is a late reply to this topic, but I use a free tool called ResHack to modify the icon in the executable stub that ships with the LV app builder (I use this for 7.0 and 7.1.x, I haven't tried it in 8.0.1 yet) called lvapp.lib which is located in <LV Directory>\applib. You can then go two ways, you can use the built in app builder to build your application and you will have to change the lvapp.lib file everytime you want a new "pretty" icon, or you can use the OpenG builder and perform a pre and post build subVI that renames the original lvapp.lib copies your new one over, then after the app is built, deletes the new lvapp.lib and replaces it with the original.

Chris

Just tried it a couple days ago, and it work pretty well.

Thanks

PJM

Just tried it a couple days ago, and it work pretty well.

Thanks

PJM

BTW for those who choose to use the NI Application error you will probably get an error when you start it up about the 32x32 16 color and 16x16 16 color icons not being present. You can safely click ok and build your executable. Using the OpenG Builder you don't get that error.

Chris

• 2 months later...

Chris

I have now tried the technique of replacing LV 8.0.1 lvapp.lib with my own, pretty icon version of lvapp.lib and it does work. Since the OpenG Builder doesn't work under LV8, the automatic pre and post building routines that could do this replacement for me don't work.

I have now tried the technique of replacing LV 8.0.1 lvapp.lib with my own, pretty icon version of lvapp.lib and it does work. Since the OpenG Builder doesn't work under LV8, the automatic pre and post building routines that could do this replacement for me don't work.

Chris,

OpenG Builder does work under LabVIEW 8.0.

Cheers,