Should I be able to probe in a callback VI?

I'd love to be able to put a probe or do some kind of debugging in a callback VI, but it's not working. I have Allow debugging checked and Reentrant execution (Preallocate clone) checked. Do I need to do something different to allow probes?

George<br><br>Never mind. If I uncheck Reentrant execution it works.<br>

Edited by george seifert

You should be able to do this by saving the callback with a breakpoint on one of the wires or nodes. A callback is simply a dynamically called reentrant VI. When it is invoked, it should stop at the breakpoint and allow you to probe, step, etc... I would suggest enabling retain wires values. Also, I would suggest using shared clones instead of preallocate for all your reentrant VIs.

You should be able to do this by saving the callback with a breakpoint on one of the wires or nodes. A callback is simply a dynamically called reentrant VI. When it is invoked, it should stop at the breakpoint and allow you to probe, step, etc... I would suggest enabling retain wires values. Also, I would suggest using shared clones instead of preallocate for all your reentrant VIs.

I thought I'd throw out there that the key bit here is the breakpoint - otherwise, all you've done is dropped a probe on a VI which is instantiated multiple times in parallel, and LabVIEW doesn't have a way of knowing which instance you want to look at. By placing the breakpoint, a specific instance can be brought to attention, at which point the probe you dropped is tied to that instance.