DC Motor

wincraze83

I want to create a closed loop control for speed control of DC motor using LabVIEW.If anybody could guide me on how to create the circuit in interfacing the motor with DAQ I would be grateful. And what all parameters should I be careful while doing so.

You don't mention what hardware you have nor what type of DC motor (stepper? permanent magnet? servo?).

Tim

Hi all,

I want to create a closed loop control for speed control of DC motor using LabVIEW.If anybody could guide me on how to create the circuit in interfacing the motor with DAQ I would be grateful. And what all parameters should I be careful while doing so.

Thanks

It is a servo DC motor

wincraze83 -

You're not giving a lot to help you with. You'll need a servo driver and that will be controlled by some digital I/O or comm I/O depending on the driver. The driver may have seperate enable lines and interface with an E-Stop circuit, or it may be a "dumb device" with no safety circuits built in. You may be able to connect TTL level signals to it, you might not. There may be an analog output for speed feedback, there may be an encoder, and there may be nothing so you have to add a speed pickup. You're going to need to research and make some design decisions based on what you are doing with this motor.

Tim

Normally you would control a DC motor with a motion control board. There are a whole host of technical problems that these boards solve, and NI and many other vendors sell them. It is usually a huge waste of time and money to reinvent that stuff.

If that is not a permissible way to solve your problem, then it would help to give more information about your situation. Is this is a school project where you are supposed to learn about electronics or feedback control systems or programming? Are you developing custom motion control hardware and want to prototype it with a flexible DAQ system? Is it for hobby use and the requirements are simple enough that the motion control HW cost is not justified? If we know more about where you are going, we could help you get there.

Jason