BlackFin Embedded

pete_dunham

Does anyone know if National Instruments is still updating/supporting BlackFin Embedded Module software?

From the NI site it is not listed under LabVIEW for Embedded Applications and doesn't appear to be for sale anymore.

Thanks.

Hi Pete

I think it may have got renamed to NI LabVIEW Microprocessor SDK?

Also here are some links for 2009:

Getting Started with the NI LabVIEW Embedded Module for ADI Blackfin Processors

LabVIEW Embedded Module for BlackFin Processors 2009 - Windows XP/Vista

I heard the ADI Blackfin Embedded Toolkit is going to be discontinued. I'm sure you can still get a version if you have inside contacts but they are not going to develop it further and support is probably going to be minimal.

I was a big fan of LabVIEW Embedded for Blackfin and designed a couple custom boards using it. But it appears that it wasn't very popular and is certainly being de-emphasized by NI (didn't realize till today that it had been removed from NI.com, it's only been a couple weeks since I last saw it on there). Last I talked to NI (a few weeks ago) about it, my understanding is that it LBE for BF is getting folded into the Micro SDK. The LabVIEW for ARM product seem is much more in vogue and appears to be getting the additional attention.

If I had a legacy investment in Blackfin designs or software, I would try to wrangle with NI to use LabVIEW for Blackfin. If you're not set on the Blackfin family, then I'd definitely go with LabVIEW for ARM. If you want to get your hands dirty in tool chains and C cross-compilers then the Microprocessor SDK is a fine choice for all the other processors.

LabVIEW Embedded for * and the Microprocessor SDK are really cool products, just not for the main-stream LabVIEW crowd.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

NI in fact changed its product strategy and archived the "LabVIEW Embedded Module for Blackfin" with the version 2009. However, there's a new solution coming into the picture that is based on the new and microprocessor independant ANSI-C-Code-Generator. With this move, NI will be focusing more on a world class code generator and leaves the specific processor support to alliance members, with the exception of Tier1 ARM/Cortex devices.

• 8 months later...

The replacing product of the former "LabVIEW 2009 Embedded Module for blackfin" is now (Q4/2012) shipped. It is based on LabVIEW 2011, the NI-ANSI-C-Code-Generator and the ZBrain Embedded Tools. That's why it is called "LabVIEW Embedded Module for Blackfin with C-Gen" or in short "LVBFCGEN". Detailed information can be found on the former (http://wiki.schmid-engineering.ch/zsystem) and the new (http://wiki.schmid-engineering.ch/zsystem4) knowledge base. Currently supported are the Blackfin BF527 and BF548 processor. There are plans to support the system on chip Blackfin 50x Family. So now, the ones who got stucked with the once archived 2009 version now have a life line to carry on realizing their ideas with LabVIEW on a Blackfin.

Marco

One more thing. The pricing model for LVBFCGEN is different from the considerable priced universal NI ANSI-C-Code-Generator. The new model follows the pricing scheme of the former product similar to the "LabVIEW Embedded Module for ARM". The only compromise is that with LVBFCGEN, the NI C-Code-Generator has been limited to produce Code only for the Analog Devices Blackfin Processor Family.

Cheers

Marco