2010 LAVA/OpenG NI-Week Bar-B-Q

Justin Goeres

post-181-1214520808.gif

Where can you find cool beers, mesquite BBQ, and good times with all your friends from LAVA, OpenG, and the LabVIEW community at large? At the 2010 LAVA / OpenG NIWeek Bar-B-Q! This yearly tradition brings together all your best online (and real-life!) friends from

LAVA (LabVIEW Advanced Virtual Architects), OpenG (home of LabVIEW's open source community), and even NI R&D. Come enjoy great barbecue with great people away from the hustle & bustle of the convention floor. Menu is TBD but is likely to include brisket, chicken, and pork ribs*.

Date: Tuesday, August 3rd, 2010, 7:00 PM (after the NIWeek "Block Diagram Party")

1607 San Jacinto Blvd, Austin, TX 78701

Cost: $30 per person

PRE-REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED!

There are still a small number of tickets left. If you want one and have not purchased one yet.

please find Justin Goeres on the NIWeek floor (JKI / Booth #841) and pay him $30 in person.

* Vegetarian food will be available on request -- contact me privately (or publicly!) if you want to know more.

• Like 1

Oh boy oh boy oh boy! I'm in. Is there going to be any group transportation from the convention center?

There will not be any official transportation from the convention center (unless you want to help me pull strings inside NI? rolleyes.gif)

The options for getting to Scholz Garten will be some combination of the following:

• Walk -- everyone will be sweaty anyway and we can all use the hike
  • Carpool -- anyone who will have a car and is willing to offer rides please post about it here (and tell me about it at the conference!)
  • Taxi -- People sharing cabs in groups would be a pretty cheap way to get there.
  • Is there an Austin bus system (the "Dillo" thing) that runs up that way? Austiners please advise!

That's the plan. Any ideas/suggestions for other options are certainly welcome!

One additional item!

Every year we hand out tickets and have a drawing to give away awesome stuff contributed by individuals and companies in the LabVIEW community!

If you or your company has something you would like to contribute, please contact me privately. In return for supporting LAVA and OpenG, I can offer you an authentic-sounding plug for the company/product/person of your choice, delivered by me, or Chris Relf, or yourself. We don't say nice things about everything every day, so don't miss this opportunity!

Seriously, though, if you have anything to offer, we would be elated to help you give it away. Contact me if you have any questions or ideas!

Transportion would be nice indeed, it seems like quite a walk.

It is a bit of a walk, but for various reasons Scholz Garten is the best venue this year. We have faith in the LabVIEW community to get ourselves there.

• Is there an Austin bus system (the "Dillo" thing) that runs up that way? Austiners please advise!

I think the Dillo got shut down with last year's CapMetro budget cuts. There are still bus options - from a quick Google Maps search, it looks like Bus 7 might be OK, but still a bit of walking in the Austin summer heat.

I'll ask around at NI, but I have no idea who might be able to help us out with some official transportation.

Awesome! I have been wanting to go to the LAVA-B-Q for years and now I am finally getting to go to NI week. I am in.

Fab-o! I'tll be great to see you there!

Word of warning: the number is capped this year, so make sure you get your ticket early. I'm pretty sure we won't be selling any tickeets at the door...

Damn, how hot is "hot" if you can't walk a few blocks to get there?

Do people melt that time of year if they stay outside too long or what? ohmy.gif

I've been to NIWeeks where it was 110 deg F every day (43 deg C) with a fair amount of humidity. Since I come from a cool climate where we don't even have air conditioning (and don't need it), I find this level of heat and humidity VERY stiffling. I used to do Preventative Search and Rescue at the Grand Canyon, but I'll spare you the lectures on heat stroke and such..."melting" pretty much sums it up.

I've been to NIWeeks where it was 110 deg F every day (43 deg C) with a fair amount of humidity. Since I come from a cool climate where we don't even have air conditioning (and don't need it), I find this level of heat and humidity VERY stiffling. I used to do Preventative Search and Rescue at the Grand Canyon, but I'll spare you the lectures on heat stroke and such..."melting" pretty much sums it up.

Wow! Tell me it nice and cool inside the convention center?

So cold that you'll see most people wearing pants on a sunny 110F day!

Yes, that is what confuses me, I see a lot of NI folk in pants in the pictures.

So much cooler than outside that it will literally feel like someone is hitting you in the face when you walk through the exit.

Also you will spend all the sessions shivering.

Should we pack a jumper?

(Ok I missed Darren saying to bring mittens, so I am guessing yes :) )

(Ok I missed Darren saying to bring mittens, so I am guessing yes :) )

Typically I wear long pants & a short-sleeved shirt during the day, but I make sure to bring a light jacket or light pullover or something for if it's really cold in the convention center.

At the end of each day (5PM or so when all the presentations are over) I go back to the hotel to change into shorts and some other short-sleeved thing for dinner / after-dinner activities.

If you try to wear shorts and/or too light a shirt during the day in the convention center, you might be cold.

If you try to wear long pants when you go outside in the afternoon/evening, you will burst into flames and die in agony :).

• Like 2

Typically I wear long pants & a short-sleeved shirt during the day, but I make sure to bring a light jacket or light pullover or something for if it's really cold in the convention center.

At the end of each day (5PM or so when all the presentations are over) I go back to the hotel to change into shorts and some other short-sleeved thing for dinner / after-dinner activities.

If you try to wear shorts and/or too light a shirt during the day in the convention center, you might be cold.

If you try to wear long pants when you go outside in the afternoon/evening, you will burst into flames and die in agony :).

Appreciate the details - now I can pack correctly beer_mug.gif

It is Winter here, so I am thinking I may be bursting into flames regardless of my attire.

I did check the Microfiche archive in Austin - it seems there a high number of Foreigner Spontaneous Human Combustion cases during NI Week. blink.gif