Register NI Product in VMware

Wim

Hi all,

I'm having some problems with registering LabVIEW FPGA 2009 SP1 module in a VMware.

I'm starting a long term project in LV2009. I also need DAQmx and FPGA.

So i made a new VMware (XP Pro SP2) with 20GB of harddisk (VMware workstation 6.5)

I installed: LV2009 SP1, DAQmx 9.0.2, NI RIO 3.4.0 and the FPGA 2009 SP1 module. So far so good, but then I want to activate the installed products....

We have a Dev Suite license that has not expired so all should work without any problems.

Standard LabVIEW activates in a few seconds but FPGA won't register.

I called NI and they say that our serial number is valid and that my requests to register FPGA are 'Assumed activated'. However in my VMware count down of 30 days has started ....

Does anyone else had the same problem ? And did you find a solution for it ?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Wim

I use VMware for a number of LabVIEW installs but haven't had this particular issue.

I think the best work-around is to try the activation process with the option to register via web browser (2nd option in NI Activation Wizard). This will give you a URL to submit your computer's information and it will give you back the proper activation codes. You should then be able to activate it using the last option in the NI Activation Wizard.

In early versions of the Alliance program software lease, this was the only method that would reliably activation LabVIEW and I am confident it will work for you.

The web activation method should allow you to avoid any weird VMware communication issues, provided you can get the URL to work.

Matt

Internet connection is ok. Standard LabVIEW activates through it :-) but is via the WiFi connection on the host system.

The activation with the webbrowser does not work either for FPGA.

I get the activation codes and copy the one for FPGA. When i enter this in the license manager i get: 'These activation codes do not correspond to any of the products you are activating'

frusty.giffrusty.giffrusty.gif

Wow, I was certain the web-based activation would do the trick.

I only have two suggestions to try:

1. Just double-check that you can get LabVIEW FPGA activated on a regular machine (to double extra check that it's not your license # - though that's unlikely to be the issue).

2. Have your local NI salesperson sit next to you while you do the activation steps and make them sit there until the problem gets resolved. Make them share your pain. :) I know there are things they can do to help that may not be an option otherwise.

I'll try installing LV2009 SP1 with FPGA in VMware to try to reproduce your situation and let you know what I find. I usually do Windows 7 x86 virtual machines rather than XP Pro, but I'll try both.

If you want to try ... I won´t stop you but it will probably work.

My boss also installed a VM (XP Pro) witk LV2009 SP1 and FPGA 200g SP1 and activation works so I'm gonna borrow his VM rolleyes.gif