- Removed -

- Removed -

We, AddQ Consulting, don't want to continue this kind of discussion. LAVA is not the forum for this. This is the reason why we have removed our posting. For questions or comments please find our contact information at www.addq.se.

Kind Regards, AddQ Consulting

• Like 2

Actually not, but since the G# Framework is able to generate native classes it would probably be a quite small thing to add. We will discuss it and see when we could support it. It is a very good idea!

Hi Mattias thanks for the reply.

I think that native support with Star UML would be a very powerful feature - so if it is a small thing to add, I would love to see it!! worshippy.gif

Hi Again!

Well.. Im working on it right now. But I'm implementing some other nice features too. I guess a release tomorrow or early next week could be expected. :)

Cheers!

//Beckman

What's taking you so long!? rolleyes.gif Seriously, this looks like it could be a really useful toolkit for those of us that learned OOP using C# and have wondered how to apply some of those lessons learned to LabVIEW. Thanks for the contribution to the open source community!

Mark

What's taking you so long!? rolleyes.gif Seriously, this looks like it could be a really useful toolkit for those of us that learned OOP using C# and have wondered how to apply some of those lessons learned to LabVIEW. Thanks for the contribution to the open source community!

Mark

Hello!

I just want to clarify that G# Ide allready is able to create G# and LVNative classes. However the StarUML Plug-in for G# Ide is, at the moment, only able to create G# classes.

Cheers!

//Beckman

Edited by Fox_mccloud

What is it about the Swedes and Finns that makes you LVOOP gods? worshippy.gif

This looks really nice. Can you upload a video demonstrating the use of the tool and of the underlying architecture? Screencast seems to a popular choice for such recordings.

What is it about the Swedes and Finns that makes you LVOOP gods? worshippy.gif

This looks really nice. Can you upload a video demonstrating the use of the tool and of the underlying architecture? Screencast seems to a popular choice for such recordings.

Maybe a (meta)quote from the Big Lebowski might help::

"They treat objects like women, man..."

• Like 2

Hi

I’ve got the question if Symbio has stopped the development of GOOP Development Suite(GDS), and if AddQ has bought the rights of the framework.

But I like to inform you all that, that is NOT the case.

Mattias and his colleagues left Symbio (former Endevo) to join a new company called AddQ.

Symbio will release a new version of GDS with our version of DVR class template at NI-week.

If you want to check out and try our proposed DVR template have a look here:

Symbios DVR template

..or check out this video.

Cheers,

Mikael

• Like 1

Hi,

Yes, Mikael is correct. Myself and the rest of my collegues at AddQ left Endevo earlier this year.

I was discussing G# with a colleague this morning and mentioned that some of you had left Endevo. His first thought was to question whether it's ethical for us to use G# when it could contain some Endevo-proprietary content.

What sayest thou?

Hi Felix!

That is correct. A class can implement multiple interfaces.

Not correct, I did ask if interfaces support multiple-inheritance. The whole concept of interfaces would be stupid if a class would only be able to implement a single interface. To clarify:

IMyInterface declares MethodA and IMyOtherInterface declares MethodB and I can draw somthing that would be comparable to

IMyChildInterface extends IMyInterface, IMyOtherInterface

and if I now have a class that implements IMyChildInterface I am forced to have both MethodA and MethodB (and anything else that IMyChildInterfacedeclares).

Does your concept of interfaces allow inheritance on interfaces at all?

Felix

Mattias, I can see that you have rewritten lot of the code, but from scratch....

It’s of cause just by coincident controls on the front panel have the same pixel coordinates, e.g. like this:

post-941-026188600 1278154518_thumb.png

..or that the connector pane are almost identical, e.g. like this:

post-941-031462200 1278155119_thumb.png

Cheers,

Mikael

So some developers jumped ship from Endevo/Simbio to start AddQ, took the GDS sourcecode, repackaged it as their own and added a few bells and whistles to it, without your permission. The crazy thing is that if anyone wants to add OOP farmeworks into GDS all you have to do is contribute, and if you have ideas or sugestions on new features to GDS then Mikael would love to hear it.

I'll keep using GDS, it Rocks, and I'm looking foward to contributing more.

• Like 1

So some developers jumped ship from Endevo/Simbio to start AddQ, took the GDS sourcecode, repackaged it as their own and added a few bells and whistles to it, without your permission. The crazy thing is that if anyone wants to add OOP farmeworks into GDS all you have to do is contribute, and if you have ideas or sugestions on new features to GDS then Mikael would love to hear it.

I'll keep using GDS, it Rocks, and I'm looking foward to contributing more.

Amen to that.. worshippy.gif Go GDS!

- Removed -

We, AddQ Consulting, don't want to continue this kind of discussion. LAVA is not the forum for this. This is the reason why we have removed our posting. For questions or comments please find our contact information at www.addq.se.

Kind Regards, AddQ Consulting

I beg to differ. LAVA is a forum for this. As an independant forum, its participants will discuss anything related closely or loosely to LabVIEW. If we have questions about a product, we surely will continue to ask them. Whether or not AddQ wants to continue the discussion is entirely up to you, but deleting parts of discussion leaves a very bad impression and probably will encourage others to continue without you able to correct any misinterpretations. Fleeing the discussion only risks to aggravate it.

I adhere strongly to the principles of open source, but never at the expense of stealing intellectual property. Know-how can be duplicated given time and efforts, but copying source code directly without giving proper credits or respecting licensing agreements is a breech that even an open-source fan like myself cannot disregard.

Come with a genuine framework completely out of your gut, and the community will give it a chance. Ask for contribution from this open source community and you might even get it. But long time contributors to this forum make a living of creating products as a add-on to LabVIEW. Let's not kill their business to create another one.

I salute the effort to build a business out of a completely open source product offering as a marketing strategy to develop your consulting business, but it has to respect the rules and existing competition. Fair competition will benefit everyone in this community. Existing products will need to get better to stay on the edge, new products will attract business and end users like most of us will get increased productivity from a better development environment.

If you cannot continue this discussion for legal reasons, please say so. But if you don't want to continue the discussion, I think it leaves a bad aftertaste to all of this, and no chance for redemption.

Come with a genuine framework completely out of your gut

I'm not sure what "completely out of your gut" means. Any OO framework people release today will have some similarity to the others. Nothing is completely new and unless you have a contract preventing your employees from working in the same field after they leave you, you can't prevent them from doing something similar.

So far, I haven't seen any proof that the AddQ code is not original. Mikael suggested it was and gave a couple of examples (which can be explained) and Mattias explicitly said the code was written from scratch. I would avoid inflammatory comments such as these, unless you have concrete reasons to believe the code is a copy. I would agree that pulling out of the discussion is a bad move, though.

Jon, I believe the release itself isn't illegal regardless of its origins. At most, it would be violating some ethical rules and possibly business agreements IF it was partially copied. It's possible that there are some laws about this, but it's not up to us to make a call about those. The decision whether or not to use it is, of course, yours.

I'm not sure what "completely out of your gut" means.

The meaning must lose its sense in the translation. Sorry, I don't have a better way to describe when I'm thinking. tongue.gif

At most, it would be violating some ethical rules and possibly business agreements IF it was partially copied. It's possible that there are some laws about this, but it's not up to us to make a call about those. The decision whether or not to use it is, of course, yours.

I partially disagree with you. As I mentioned, starting from scratch is know-how, and there are no laws preventing you from reproducing know-how unless it's patented work, which is probably not the case here. It's hard to patent software in the first place and that's why there is are passwords on the block diagrams. Connector panes and front panel positions are not enough evidence to throw the stone because they're part of the public domain of even password-protected VIs. Coincidently, if AddQ hadn't pulled off of the forum, I might not have this opinion right now.

Of course it raises an ethical question, but more than that: simply copying the content of your hard drive when you leave a company is against the law of ALL countries who protect IP. The work produced for an employer is strictly its property as a business entity, and no one else's.