For a complex application, with plugins, executables, and installers, a programatic build method (ie click GO to build the lot) has serious benefits. I've got this up and running on one of my larger projects but one of the things that has always bugged me with using the Application Builder API is this:

Is there anyway to get any kind of status information out of the Build VIs? When building manually (right-click on the spec-> build...) a nice dialog pops up describing how far along the process has come etc. However, when using the App Builder API, I cannot see any way to get any feedback from within a build operation. Is there anyway to get some status information or at least display the standard dialog?

Thanks,

shaun

For a complex application, with plugins, executables, and installers, a programatic build method (ie click GO to build the lot) has serious benefits. I've got this up and running on one of my larger projects but one of the things that has always bugged me with using the Application Builder API is this:

Is there anyway to get any kind of status information out of the Build VIs? When building manually (right-click on the spec-> build...) a nice dialog pops up describing how far along the process has come etc. However, when using the App Builder API, I cannot see any way to get any feedback from within a build operation. Is there anyway to get some status information or at least display the standard dialog?

Thanks,

shaun

For me, a programmatic build method refers to "automation" and therefore I don't normally stand there and watch it however, I do like to track the stages of building with messages to the UI.

I used to have a timer running in a parallel thread however, running the NI Builder API locks up everything so the timer doesn't even update at slow rates.

Anyways, I don't know how one would access the info from the API (if it was there) maybe by polling a resource in parallel or subscribing to an event?

This would add extra complexity to your build process architecture which would be a pain IMO (and that is why I scraped the parallel timer and just get the total build time for interest).

If the info is not available then maybe if the entire dialog (rather than just the info) was automated/included in the API; e.g. a parameter that was: Popup Status Window During Build = TRUE; then that would be easier to use in a custom build process?

Maybe a post for the Idea Exchange??

• Like 1

If the info is not available then maybe if the entire dialog (rather than just the info) was automated/included in the API; e.g. a parameter that was: Popup Status Window During Build = TRUE; then that would be easier to use in a custom build process?

Maybe a post for the Idea Exchange??

HI Just added you some Kudos for the comment above. If you post it into the Idea Exchange, I would vote it up

cheers

Danny

• 4 years later...

With the last post being nearly 5 years old, perhaps someone has found a ways to achieve something like this? 

I'm using vi.lib\AppBuilder\AB_API_Simple\Build.vi for programmatically building stuff, and I'd really like the possibility to register for a user event, similar to the NI System Configuration Toolkit (vi.lib\nisyscfg\Register User Event.vi).

(cross-posted here)