active x excel

You have to be careful about what you're actually referring to. The Microsoft Office Spreadsheet is an ActiveX control, which is not the same as the ActiveX interface for Excel. Two different things. If your front panel control looks like this:

post-3256-061561700 1279579342_thumb.png

then you're talking about the ActiveX control, not the Excel ActiveX interface.

Is this what you are using?

Yeah that is the one. Thanks for the responses.

I haven't done much with activeX before this. Is there a lot of difference between using one or the other? Also is there good way to handle the version of office changing?

There is a difference since the object models are not the same, so they would program differently. It's quite similar to the Excel object model, though, so there are more similarities than differences. The Office Spreadsheet control is part of the Office Web Components. That control cannot read/write Excel workbooks (though you can export the contents of the spreadsheet control to an Excel file). Don't ask me why, that's just the way Microsoft designed it. What's it good for? Well, other than presenting a spreadsheet-like control on an application window, I have no idea. If you have to read/write Excel workbooks then you should either invest in the Report Generation Toolkit, or look over the examples that are available on this site as well as in the Excel thread over at the NI site. Please note: DO NOT POST QUESTIONS IN THE EXCEL THREAD. It is meant to be a repository of links only.

As far as handling the changing of the version of office... no, there's no real good way to handle this. At least none that I have found, though others may have found a suitable solution. Ultimately I believe this is a limitation of ActiveX component "versioning".

thanks again, I thought that was probably the case with regard to version changes. Looks like I have some reading ahead of me.

There is a difference since the object models are not the same, so they would program differently. It's quite similar to the Excel object model, though, so there are more similarities than differences. The Office Spreadsheet control is part of the Office Web Components. That control cannot read/write Excel workbooks (though you can export the contents of the spreadsheet control to an Excel file). Don't ask me why, that's just the way Microsoft designed it. What's it good for? Well, other than presenting a spreadsheet-like control on an application window, I have no idea. If you have to read/write Excel workbooks then you should either invest in the Report Generation Toolkit, or look over the examples that are available on this site as well as in the Excel thread over at the NI site. Please note: DO NOT POST QUESTIONS IN THE EXCEL THREAD. It is meant to be a repository of links only.

As far as handling the changing of the version of office... no, there's no real good way to handle this. At least none that I have found, though others may have found a suitable solution. Ultimately I believe this is a limitation of ActiveX component "versioning".