How to show Getting Started Window (GSW) when a Tool's Daemon/Process VI is running in background

[cross-posted to ni.com]

Howdy !

I have run into the following issue when creating a tool for LabVIEW that continually runs in the background (daemon/process VI):

By default, LabVIEW shows the GSW when all other files (project, VIs etc...) are closed.

However with the process running in the background, it does not show the GSW!

Has anyone run into the issue before?

Is there a way to set LabVIEW to 'ignore' my Tool and get the GSW to show normally?

The VI is running in the NI.LV.Editor application instance (the Tool is launched by Quick Drop).

Cheers

-JG

By default, LabVIEW shows the GSW when all other files (project, VIs etc...) are closed.

However with the process running in the background, it does not show the GSW!

You could explore some of the application properties, if I'm not mistaken there's a 'private' or 'system' property that should make it invisible for the GSW.

Or you could launch the GSW. There is a menu launch token for the GSW that loads it into the front.

Try to get Christina into this discussion, since she wrote a lot of code for the GSW.

Ton

• Like 1

You could explore some of the application properties, if I'm not mistaken there's a 'private' or 'system' property that should make it invisible for the GSW.

Or you could launch the GSW. There is a menu launch token for the GSW that loads it into the front.

Try to get Christina into this discussion, since she wrote a lot of code for the GSW.

Ton

Thanks Ton,

I don't want to manage showing the GSW etc, I am hoping it can be all handled by LabVIEW by flagging that VI to be ignored or something similar.

I will check out the app props, in the meantime I have contacted Christina.

Cheersbeer_mug.gif

-JG

The Getting Started Window will not reappear if there are any open or hidden LabVIEW windows. If your background-running VI never opens its front panel, or closes it using the FP.Close method, it should not prevent the return of the GSW.

If your VI closes its window and the GSW is still failing to appear, you may have found a bug where LabVIEW is not checking the window list at a time that it should. If that's the case, PM me and we'll investigate.

• Like 1

The Getting Started Window will not reappear if there are any open or hidden LabVIEW windows. If your background-running VI never opens its front panel, or closes it using the FP.Close method, it should not prevent the return of the GSW.

If your VI closes its window and the GSW is still failing to appear, you may have found a bug where LabVIEW is not checking the window list at a time that it should. If that's the case, PM me and we'll investigate.

Hi Christina,

Thanks for your reply.

That is good to know the exact criteria - which is what the issue would be here:

My process does have a GUI so the FP can be opened, therefore I use the FP.Hidden state to hide the window in-between calls.

(I was thinking it may be faster to load and I was also experiencing some issues using FP.Close and memory that I have since fixed)

Anyways, I have changed this around now so the FP.Close is called each time and now the GSW window pops up with the process still running in the background!

Thanks heaps!!

• 7 months later...

Hi Jgcode,

I try to use "Open VI as System", try to add my VI to other application context. But it do not work.

If this can be achieved by FP.Close only, I wonder to know:

1. How can I know if it's time to CLOSE?

2. When to re-open the FP of my VI?

thanks a lot

Hi Jgcode,

I try to use "Open VI as System", try to add my VI to other application context. But it do not work.

If this can be achieved by FP.Close only, I wonder to know:

1. How can I know if it's time to CLOSE?

2. When to re-open the FP of my VI?

thanks a lot

It's your application, at least I would hope that, so the answer to both questions can only be given by you. The only thing we can tell you are generic advices or in other words:

1) It's time to close your VI FP when you don't have to show anything to the user or don't have to get information from them anymore.

2) Invert number 1) and you have the answer to that as well.

Hi UnCLAD

If LabVIEW is configured to do so GSW will open when no other VI's FP are open (I.e. all closed).

Are you looking for a programmatic way to show GSW? I don't think that is possible. Maybe you could suggest it on the IE??

Hi Jgcode,

I do really want to launch GSW programmatic. I can launch GSW by VI server without close FP , but it's difficult to figure out when to launch.

Thanks a lot

You simply can't. GSW is a private VI in the Getting Started library (GettingStartedWindow.lvlib). The only public VIs from that library are "getting_started.vi" and it will fail if you have any FPs opened... and Close_GSW.

There are two options here:

1- Idea exchange, as suggested by Jon.

2- Contact Christina Rogers (Eyes on VIs) and ask her for a quick fix, if she (or NI?) is willing to accomodate your request.

You simply can't. GSW is a private VI in the Getting Started library (GettingStartedWindow.lvlib). The only public VIs from that library are "getting_started.vi" and it will fail if you have any FPs opened... and Close_GSW.

There are two options here:

1- Idea exchange, as suggested by Jon.

2- Contact Christina Rogers (Eyes on VIs) and ask her for a quick fix, if she (or NI?) is willing to accomodate your request.

Yes, it cannot operate correctly even I launch the GSW from my tool by calling GSW VI.

But by using the invoke node of "User Interaction.Invoke Menu Item" and setting the ItemTag to "APP_VIEW_GETTING_STARTED" to launch GSW can be operated correctly (GSW can be closed automatically after new...).

In LabVIEW, you can launch GSW from menu launch when you've already opened a VI. So I think this can work correctly.

Edited by unCLAD
  • Like 1

Yes, it cannot operate correctly even I launch the GSW from my tool by calling GSW VI.

But by using the invoke node of "User Interaction.Invoke Menu Item" and setting the ItemTag to "APP_VIEW_GETTING_STARTED" to launch GSW can be operated correctly (GSW can be closed automatically after new...).

In LabVIEW, you can launch GSW from menu launch when you've already opened a VI. So I think this can work correctly.

So you have found a solution but find it to complicated? Or what is the problem you still have?

So you have found a solution but find it to complicated? Or what is the problem you still have?

By discussing here, I got alot of innovations to accomplish it. Now it's difficult to judge if there is only my VI running. There are VI windows and non-VI windows (such as lvlib, lvproj). And in my VI, it use other VI's reference. I'm confused.

My VI is launched from menu, so it will be add to NI.LV.Dialog context.

Before I invoke GSW by item tag, I will check if there are FP opened VIs, lvlib and lvproj in Application Instance context.

What confused me is GSW can be invoked correctly at the first time only. After the first invoke, I've checked there are no FP opened VIs, lvlib and lvproj.