Lunch

Cat

What goes on in the LabVIEW Leaders lunch??

Is it really just for those of you who consider yourselves "LabVIEW Leaders", or is it a chance for the rest of us to rub elbows with the bigwigs, kiss your rings, and maybe pick up a used napkin as a souvenior?? I figured it was the former and didn't register for it; now I see there's a waiting list. So either there are a lot of LabVIEW Leaders, or the tables are really small, or there are a lot of napkin collectors attending. :)

Also on the topic of lunch: Do you regulars usually eat lunch at the Convention Center, or grab something elsewhere? Should I be registering for lunch??

Hungry minds want to know...

Cat

I like having lunch at the convention centre myself.

The last time I went, it turned out to be a really cool way of meeting new people. I was there on my own, so each time I sat down at a table, it was typically with people I'd never met before.

Plus, as I recall the food was very good too. Although I only got one bad meal the entire time I was in Texas in '08, and that one came from an "authentic" Mexican place in a strip mall somewhere outside of Dallas. ( And the food itself may not have been bad....maybe my Canadian stomach couldn't handle eating that much cactus )

What goes on in the LabVIEW Leaders lunch??

The LabVIEW Leaders lunch in on Wednesday, noon-1pm. If you are a NI discussion forum member, you probably received an e-mail invitation.

It's very informal, basically just a few tables. You don't need any special qualifications or secret handshake to attend. Last year, Laura was there (she manages the LabVIEW forums) as well as some other NI people and we had some friendly chats with others, previously only known by their forum user name.

One way or another, you have to eat lunch. You can either sit in a corner and eat by yourself, eat with some random people, or join us. :D

Should I be registering for lunch??

Lunch is included with your registration, no need to register. Simply stroll down to the huge lunch area, show your badge, and look for a random table with friendly looking people. I would guess that a large portion of attendees will eat there. Food is typically quite good. You can easily stay there a bit longer and even grab some coffee and desserts from the desserts table. ;)

See you there!

(Full Conference: Includes three-day conference and exhibition admission, meals, exhibition receptions, and evening events.)

Edited by altenbach

The LabVIEW Leaders lunch in on Wednesday, noon-1pm. If you are a NI discussion forum member, you probably received an e-mail invitation.

Hmm. I'm a member, but not a regular one. I hardly have time to keep up with LAVA.

One way or another, you have to eat lunch. You can either sit in a corner and eat by yourself, eat with some random people, or join us. :D

Well, I'm certainly not flying all the way to the one place in the nation that's hotter than DC to sit in a corner by myself. :) I'm on the waiting list to officially join you all.

Lunch is included with your registration, no need to register. [...]

See you there!

Thanks for the info! I'm looking forward to it (and I don't mean just lunch :P )

Thanks for the info! I'm looking forward to it (and I don't mean just lunch :P )

The conference is okay, I guess, but the LAVA chocolate cake they had at a lunch last year was deeeelicious! Unforuntately I piled it on my plate just before I presented, so I'm not sure if my presentation was either hyperactive sugar infused or carb coma induced. Either way, it was tasty :)

To reconfirm view expressed above, the LabVIEW Leaders Lunch is indeed a set of tables toward the front of the lunch area that are reserved for a few people (including NI staff and some community leaders). I suggest you look for anyone sporting a "LAVA Member" ribbon on thier conference badge (we'll be handing those out at the BBQ) and shimmy up to them for some brain food.

The conference is okay, I guess, but the LAVA chocolate cake they had at a lunch last year was deeeelicious!

Mmmm. LAVA chocolate cake... If I wasn't already attending, I'd be drooling with envy right now. :P

I suggest you look for anyone sporting a "LAVA Member" ribbon on thier conference badge (we'll be handing those out at the BBQ) and shimmy up to them for some brain food.

Wow, soul food (chocolate) and brain food, all in the same place! You can't beat that with a stick!

maybe pick up a used napkin as a souvenior?? I

I don't know how many of us watch the sitcom Big Bang Theory, but this reminds me of an episode. Neighbor Penny gets nerd-geek Sheldon a napkin from her restaurant for Christmas. He looks at it, unimpressed and she says "turn it over". It's signed "Sheldon - live long and prosper - Leonard Nimoy". She apologized that it was dirty because Nimoy wiped his mouth on it. Sheldon nearly passes out from hysterics, nearly crying with joy, lips quivering ... "I possess the DNA of Leonard Nimoy!!! Do you know what this means?! With a viable ovum I could grow my own Leonard Nimoy!!!"

One of the funniest things I have ever seen. I was in tears the first time I saw it.

It's on YouTube under "Penny's Christmas gift to Sheldon".

"With a viable ovum I could grow my own Jim Kring!"

:lol:

• Like 1

Hmm. I'm a member, but not a regular one. I hardly have time to keep up with LAVA.

Well, I'm certainly not flying all the way to the one place in the nation that's hotter than DC to sit in a corner by myself. :) I'm on the waiting list to officially join you all.

I just got off the phone with Laura and there are no reservations required. Get your food wonder over and sit down.

Ben

"With a viable ovum I could grow my own Jim Kring!"

Well, it's been over 15 years since I tested the viability of my ova, but... :lol::lol:

If you wish I can set you up with TWO used napkins. I'll even put them in my pocket for a bit, so they can get properly crumpled.

Bless you, sir!

(I'm going to keep one and sell the other on eBay. I'll probably be able to retire early.)

:lol:

I only got one bad meal the entire time I was in Texas in '08, and that one came from an "authentic" Mexican place in a strip mall somewhere outside of Dallas.

My personal favorite authentic mexican food is sangria. :)

I just got off the phone with Laura and there are no reservations required. Get your food wonder over and sit down.

I'll be there!