Multicolumn List Box with objects

Several times I've written code in C++ to make a custom stringgrid where the columns were checkboxes for T/F entry, and other columns were strings and yet other columns were dropdown list boxes of numerical values while another one was of enumerated types. I sure wish that the multicolmn list box had the ability to insert various types objects in addition to strings for each column in the list box! As it stands now I am usually making a cluster of controls (type def'd) where each cluster is represents a column in a 2D table of objects where. The gymnastics of finding the index to the control in the cluster controls[] property and then using this index into all the other clusters to process a line entry into the 2D table is quite interesting if one is basing actions on mouse events on an element of the table.

Several times I've written code in C++ to make a custom stringgrid where the columns were checkboxes for T/F entry, and other columns were strings and yet other columns were dropdown list boxes of numerical values while another one was of enumerated types. I sure wish that the multicolmn list box had the ability to insert various types objects in addition to strings for each column in the list box! As it stands now I am usually making a cluster of controls (type def'd) where each cluster is represents a column in a 2D table of objects where. The gymnastics of finding the index to the control in the cluster controls[] property and then using this index into all the other clusters to process a line entry into the 2D table is quite interesting if one is basing actions on mouse events on an element of the table.

Hi sydney,

if you want to get leverage on this I would advise the following:

-Post here some code showing all the issues you have to go through to get a nice UI like this.

-Post an Idea to the NI Idea Exchange.

-Post here a link to your Idea, to get additional support (kudos) for your idea.

Ton

Yeah, the lack of being able to put anything other than strings in a listbox/tree has often made my bust out Windows Forms or WPF. In the end though I always end up saying "Screw it, I'll just sacrifice some UI functionality." I just chalk it up to one of the costs of using LabVIEW. The virtues of being in R&D I suppose, UIs don't need to be *too* perfect.

The various tree/list controls have needed updating for a long time. They're definitely better than they used to be, but got a long way to go until I'd consider them contemporary with platform natives.