Error 16 from VI Path property

Under what circumstances will the VI Path property return error 16? I built an executable using the App Builder and when I have Remote Debugging enabled it works fine, but when I disable it, I get error 16 when attempting to read the VI Path from a reference to vi.lib\Utility\victl.llb\Open Panel.vi. I don't know if this error is really path specific, or if it's an error that occurs under a certain condition. I don't think it matters, but Open Panel does have Preallocate Clones set.

Any ideas about error 16 or times when Remote Debugging should not be disabled?

Under what circumstances will the VI Path property return error 16? I built an executable using the App Builder and when I have Remote Debugging enabled it works fine, but when I disable it, I get error 16 when attempting to read the VI Path from a reference to vi.lib\Utility\victl.llb\Open Panel.vi. I don't know if this error is really path specific, or if it's an error that occurs under a certain condition. I don't think it matters, but Open Panel does have Preallocate Clones set.

Any ideas about error 16 or times when Remote Debugging should not be disabled?

Correction, it's actually the FP.Title property that's giving me the error, not VI Path. I jumped to that conclusion too quickly. But other FP.Open works fine, as well as VI Name, Path, Exec.State, weird.

More information to add, I'm using LV2009SP1 and Open Panel.vi is saved inside of my .exe.

Here's a sample project that demonstrates the problem. I think it's a LabVIEW bug.

Thanks,

Nate

FP.Title Error 16.zip

Edited by NATE

Also worth noting that when I build the EXE using OpenG Builder (which does not enable Remote Debugging), FP.Title works fine.

And why is the EXE file size so dramatically different between AB (177KB) and OGB (65KB)? I don't know what OGB could be doing so differently than AB to get such big differences on an EXE that only contains 2 small VIs.

I Didn't look too closely, but I'm assuming this is happening because the VI has its front panel removed, thus causing you not to be able to use any FP properties (although the actual description for the error does not say this, so that's probably a bug). If you add the VI to your project and configure it in the build settings to not have its FP removed, I assume it should work. Debugging certainly does this and I guess the OGB does as well.

You might still need to play with it if the actual VIs are the clones, but you can play around with it.

I Didn't look too closely, but I'm assuming this is happening because the VI has its front panel removed, thus causing you not to be able to use any FP properties (although the actual description for the error does not say this, so that's probably a bug). If you add the VI to your project and configure it in the build settings to not have its FP removed, I assume it should work. Debugging certainly does this and I guess the OGB does as well.

You might still need to play with it if the actual VIs are the clones, but you can play around with it.

Yep, that was it. The default setting in AppBuilder is to remove all Front Panels, but my application assumes all front panels are available for debugging and automation purposes.

Thank you to everyone who fired a few neurons on tthis for me, whether you replied or not. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here,

Nate