Hotel Recommendations?

Daklu

So hopefully everyone has sobered up from NI Week. In planning for 2011 I'd like to know what people's experience with the local hotels was like and how much I should expect to pay. I checked a couple online and got prices from $140/night to $350/night.

So hopefully everyone has sobered up from NI Week. In planning for 2011 I'd like to know what people's experience with the local hotels was like and how much I should expect to pay. I checked a couple online and got prices from $140/night to $350/night.

NI Week discounts apply to a lot of hotels in downtown area.

Hilton Austin is very nice @ $140/night

Apparently there is one with a nicer pool tho.

Over the years, I stayed in quite a few places near the convention center, except at the hilton. (I only pick hotels with free internet! ;)). Don't forget to add about 18% tax and fees for the final bottom line.

Here's where I stayed:

Hampton Inn: Very nice hotel, even includes breakfast (which you don't need!). NI Week rate was about $120 this year. I paid $100 a few years ago. Regular rates start around $180 nowadays (Hotels.com today has a 24 hours special at 104/night!). Just a block away from the convention center side entrance. (Stayed here twice).

Omni: Also very nice, but a few blocks walk up the hill. Similar NI-week rate. If you sign up for their free program you get some perks (morning beverage, free wifi, newspaper, etc.) (stayed here twice).

Hilton Garden Inn: This year I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn, just about a block past the Hilton. Hotel is a bit run down, but OK. NI week rates this year were ~$120 including a welcome drink or similar. You should get about the same rate on the web. I did better (except no welcome drink), but the rate was non-refundable, which is a bit of a gamble. I booked a Flight+Hotel via the auto club online, so the hotel price is hidden, but subtracting the flight cost determined elsewhere, the hotel was a good deal .

I have not stayed at the Raddison, Marriott, etc.

There are a few cheaper (motel style) options, but they are a bit far to walk and probably a bit of a hassle.

You probably should wait until they post the new NI week rates. There is no sense booking a year in advance.

Edited by altenbach

I stayed at the Radisson the last couple of times. This year NIWeek rate was $115,-. Only a 5-10 min walk from the convention centre.

They have Starbucks and T.G.I. Fridays.. Wifi in the room is $9,95/day, but if you ask for a code to use the free wifi in the lobby, this just might work in your room too. :-)

I always stay at the Radisson. That's the one with the nicest pool - a MUST if you aren't used to the oppressive heat of Austin. Plus, between the Starbucks and TGIFridays, all your tasty beverage choices are covered. TGIFs even provides pool service food and drinks.