Using Greek symbols in LabVIEW

g_sures

I need to use ohm (Ω) symbol in my VI. It should read from the ini and change the boolean Text. Is it possible to do it in a simple way?

Thanks in advance,

Suresh

If you are reading this from an INI file, then the symbol should be an upper case 'W'. If your default font in Notepad set to Symbol, it will APPEAR as the character Omega.

If your INI file contains other units (Watts for example) then you may not be able to differentiate between Ohms and Watts. It might be better to spell out the units rather than using the abbreviation. You could then use the Match Pattern or Match Regular Expression nodes to look for Ohms or Watts.

If you want info on displaying and formatting of Greek symbols in LabVIEW (specifically Omega) see this post on the NI forums...

• Like 1

Thanks for the link Phillip.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a similar but slightly more complicated problem.

Does any one know how to set a greek character as part of the column header in a table? for example I want the table header to read Angle (theta) where the theta is actually the greek character. I have accomplished this in a cheating way by putting down a transparent label with the symbol font, but it would be great to know how (if it is possible) to do this.

After reading your post and re-reading g_sures post, I think you have the same problem. You can selectively set the font for individual characters in a string control, but the Boolean control text and the cell text of a table do not support this.

In each case, you could create a string control and then retrieve the position of the cell/Boolean text and then move your string control containing the hybrid text to the center of that element (cell/button).

Create the symbol in MS word then copy and paste it over to the string constant.

I just tried this with a table and a Boolean. You can paste it in to the text of the Boolean, but not the column header of the table.

Suresh wanted to load the Boolean text from an INI file, so I don't think he can use this technique either.

Cut & paste from Word is good for static button text though! :thumbup1: