Starting real-time exe programmatically

pgstein104

HI,

I am currently updating a real-time application from LabVIEW 8.5 to 2009. In LabVIEW 8.5, I would reboot the controller, delete the exe, ftp the new exe, and then programaticaly start it using vi server. The problem I am running into is the following error:

LabVIEW Real-Time: VIs built into executables cannot be accessed through VI Server calls. Use Source Distributions to dynamically call VIs on Real-Time targets."Apparently, you can no longer call a VI from an executable using VI Server in LabVIEW 2009. Using a source distribution is not an option, it must be an exe. Does anyone know a good way I can get around this?

Does anyone know how to do one of the following:

1) Stop an exe running on the real-time programmatically. (This way I could delete it, place my new one on the real-time, reboot, and then have it boot on startup)

2) Start an exe on the real-time programmatically (not using VI-Server). (Reboot to kill the exe, delete it, place the new one on the real-time,start it programmatically)

3) Any other ideas on how ot deploy and run my exe.

NOTE: Per project requirements, I must deploy a new executable at the start of my program.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Paul

Does anyone know how to do one of the following:

1) Stop an exe running on the real-time programmatically. (This way I could delete it, place my new one on the real-time, reboot, and then have it boot on startup)

2) Start an exe on the real-time programmatically (not using VI-Server). (Reboot to kill the exe, delete it, place the new one on the real-time,start it programmatically)

3) Any other ideas on how ot deploy and run my exe.

NOTE: Per project requirements, I must deploy a new executable at the start of my program...

The quickest way (AFAIK) to deploy a RT applikation (with just one reboot), is to

1. upload the new rtexe, including dependencies, to the real time target into a new folder (perhaps with the version in the name)

2. download the ni-rt.ini file from the RT target to the local disk

3. Change the RTApp.StartupApplication path to point at your newly uploaded rtexe

4. upload the edited ini-file to the RT target

5. reboot

6. new rtexe should start running

I also believe that it is possible to use private VI-server methods to edit the ini file directly on the RT target (if remote access is enabled) but I cannot check at the moment. Doing so would replace steps 2 to 4 above.

/J

• Like 1

Thanks for the input. What I am planning on doing is what you suggested, but I was going to upload the new executable to a folder based on the time/date. You don't happen to have a VI that will create a directory? I know the FTP command is MKD and I can write it myself, but if it is already done there is no point in re-inventing the wheel.

Thanks,

Paul

Thanks for the input. What I am planning on doing is what you suggested, but I was going to upload the new executable to a folder based on the time/date. You don't happen to have a VI that will create a directory? I know the FTP command is MKD and I can write it myself, but if it is already done there is no point in re-inventing the wheel.

Thanks,

Paul

I'll see what I can find.

/J