how can i write .mnu files

:worship: There are many .mnu files in the folder of \LabVIEW 7.0\user.lib,but when i open them in UltraEdit i have no idea what they consist of.So i just want to know what are they and how to make a .mnu file myself ,by labview or other editor?Thanks for help.

:worship: There are many .mnu files in the folder of  \LabVIEW 7.0\user.lib,but when i open them in UltraEdit i have no idea what  they consist of.So i just want to know what are they and how to make a .mnu file myself ,by labview or other editor?Thanks for help.

1182[/snapback]

There are binary files, and only NI has the tools to read and write them. These can be created using the palette editor. There are instructions in the LabVIEW User Manual.

You should not edit the mnu files directly. Go to your LabVIEW menu and select tools>>Advanced>>Edit Palette Views. This will bring up the palette editor.

post-2-1090340254.png?width=400

From this editor you can edit exisitng subpalettes by right-clicking on the nodes or you can create your own mnu file. You can only create custom mnu files in your user.lib subpalette.

post-2-1090340372.png?width=400

Once you insert a submenu you will be given a choice to create a new mnu file.

post-2-1090340439.png?width=400

I hope this gives you some starting point with mnu files. There is extensive help in the built-in LabVIEW help on this topic.

When i install some thirdpart code-packs, it seems there is a .mnu file in every sub folder such as openG's toolset and Adlink's driver pack,and the .mnu files change automatically when their installed path changed.

How to make this?And in openG toolsets there are some subvis that when it is put onto the diagram,there shows no vi's icon but vi's diagram block,i found this only related to its mnu file.I think this can be very useful.How can this be achieved?

Download File:post-449-1090386869.bmp

When i install some thirdpart code-packs, it seems there is a .mnu file in every sub folder such as openG's toolset and Adlink's driver pack,and the .mnu files change automatically when their installed path changed.

1187[/snapback]

What I described to you in my post is exactly how this is done by the suppliers of toolkits for LabVIEW. There really is not much more to it. When the VI's are distributed, mnu files are included. I'm not sure what you mean by "the .mnu files change". The .mnu files included with the toolkits always reflect the VI's they are included with.
And in openG toolsets there are some subvis that when it is put onto the diagram,there shows no vi's icon but vi's diagram block,i found this only related to its mnu file.I think this can be very useful.How can this be achieved?

1187[/snapback]

Ah well this is called a "Merge VI". Here are some links for more information:

http://forums.lavausergroup.org/index.php?...findpost&p=1121

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch...52?OpenDocument

• 3 years later...

QUOTE(yen @ Aug 31 2007, 05:59 AM)

I understand you created it, so you would probably be the best person to ask - will it work in LV 7.x (which is what the original posted seems to have)?

I don't have 8.0, so I can't try to open it and backsave.

Maybe in the last three years they have upgraded. :P It is nice to see functionality like this be available. :thumbup:

QUOTE(nil @ Jul 20 2004, 07:21 AM)

So i just want to know what are they and how to make a .mnu file myself ,by labview or other editor?

You can't create mnu files by yourself. These are the files that define your pallet views. The ones you generate when changing the default pallet set are stored in *\LabVIEW Data\8x\Pallets.

If you want to change your pallet views, goto Tools>Advanced>change pallet set (I don't remember if this was the location for changing pallets in 7.x, but just search LV help for "editing pallets")

Neville.