Apply Icon Changes to Child Implementations

So, I'm doing really menial work right now, but the perfectionist in me demands I do it.

Might be going a little crazy while doing it though.

But I had an idea.

So I posted it.

Basically, when editing the icon of a dynamic dispatch VI, I'd like to automatically be able to apply an icon change to all child implementations. Not unlike how icon changes propagate through all objects when you edit a library icon, only you know, now for dynamic dispatch VIs.

You all agree?

Oh man, that last one I fixed is off by one pixel relative to its parent...

-m

So, I'm doing really menial work right now, but the perfectionist in me demands I do it.

Might be going a little crazy while doing it though.

But I had an idea.

So I posted it.

Basically, when editing the icon of a dynamic dispatch VI, I'd like to automatically be able to apply an icon change to all child implementations. Not unlike how icon changes propagate through all objects when you edit a library icon, only you know, now for dynamic dispatch VIs.

You all agree?

Oh man, that last one I fixed is off by one pixel relative to its parent...

-m

I feel your pain. biggrin.gif

But why limit it to classes?. Why not also be able to apply it to a load of VIs in a virtual folder. Or be able to select multiple VIs that you want to apply it too.

• Like 1

Hey MJE

My LVOOP Theme Creator tool in LAVACR manipulates LVOOP Icons.

Have you seen it?

After posts between AQ, ThSa and myself I added a Transparent option, that allows a Child to "inherent" the Parent's icon.

So if you update the Parent it will propagate through to the Children.

Does the tool suit your Use Case?

If you have any feedback that would be great.

I am about to roll out another version soon too.

Cheers

-JG

The best demo is probably: The Transparency Video in this post

<edit>

Ok, I just re-read your post, you want to change the member icon not the Child Class banner.

Not in my tool, but still scriptable tho (and would complement the tool)

</edit>

<edit>

Ok, I just re-read your post, you want to change the member icon not the Child Class banner.

Not in my tool, but still scriptable tho (and would complement the tool)

</edit>

Yup, therein lies the rub.

I'm aware of your tool but I've never successfully got the right click framework to work on my development systems. Haven't tried since 2010 though, might have to give it a whirl one day.

Edit: I totally misread the requirements...quick drop plugin, not RCF...I'll definitely need to take a look.

Yup, therein lies the rub.

I'm aware of your tool but I've never successfully got the right click framework to work on my development systems. Haven't tried since 2010 though, might have to give it a whirl one day.

Edit: I totally misread the requirements...quick drop plugin, not RCF...I'll definitely need to take a look.

Cool. New release will have a Tools Menu plugin, so if you don't use QD either (I mean really, who doesn't?) - you can get to it easy. :)

I really like your idea - and it sound doable.... ...now to find that thing called time...

• 2 years later...