startup crash LV 2009 SP1 (bug?)

PaulG.

Cross-post from here.

Tangent from here.

It seems I'm having more than my fair share of LV crashes. I'm running 2009 SP1 on a Windows XP Pro. Almost daily I experience a problem with LV crashing, either letting me know that the last time it shut down bla bla bla would you like to investigate bla bla bla. At least once a week I can't even get LV to startup and have to reboot my machine. Today the only way I could get it to start was to double-click my project shortcut on my desktop. That was dumb luck. Is there a super-secret setting I'm missing someplace in my .ini file or a super-duper-super-secret series of keystrokes I need to make LV a little more robust?

Or is my intuition correct in telling me that LV 2009 is the buggiest and most unstable LV version I've ever used (and I've been at this since LV 5) and it's time to move my customer to 2010 because it just might be a little better?

I absolutely hate and will resist at all cost changing sofware versions mid-project (actually, in this case, tail end of project) but 2009 makes me want to pull my hair out.

:angry:

Cross-post from here.

Tangent from here.

It seems I'm having more than my fair share of LV crashes. I'm running 2009 SP1 on a Windows XP Pro. Almost daily I experience a problem with LV crashing, either letting me know that the last time it shut down bla bla bla would you like to investigate bla bla bla. At least once a week I can't even get LV to startup and have to reboot my machine. Today the only way I could get it to start was to double-click my project shortcut on my desktop. That was dumb luck. Is there a super-secret setting I'm missing someplace in my .ini file or a super-duper-super-secret series of keystrokes I need to make LV a little more robust?

Or is my intuition correct in telling me that LV 2009 is the buggiest and most unstable LV version I've ever used (and I've been at this since LV 5) and it's time to move my customer to 2010 because it just might be a little better?

I absolutely hate and will resist at all cost changing sofware versions mid-project (actually, in this case, tail end of project) but 2009 makes me want to pull my hair out.

:angry:

I think its been slowly getting worse every iteration. There used to be a time when you might see "insane object at..." maybe 2 or 3 times a year, but you had to be abusing it. I often get 2009 disappearing when I delete something. blink.gif But its better than 8.x (IMHO) which was a complete crock...But I think NI realise this which is why they have said 2011 will be a "stability" release. My personal opinion that any software shouldn't be released UNTIL it is stable.

Don't bet that 2010 will be better. See how many bugs are still existing from 8.x. (2010 Known Issues)

For me, I found that startup issues are related to a corrupt LabVIEW.ini file. Specifically seen issues with the recent pathlist entries. For example, a VI or project in your recent paths list is no longer available.

As a first step try renaming your LabVIEW.ini file and then see if LabVIEW starts properly.

By doing this however you will loose your customized LabVIEW Options. So you would have to redo them.

Another approach is just deleting all the recent paths entries.

For me, I found that startup issues are related to a corrupt LabVIEW.ini file. Specifically seen issues with the recent pathlist entries. For example, a VI or project in your recent paths list is no longer available.

As a first step try renaming your LabVIEW.ini file and then see if LabVIEW starts properly.

By doing this however you will loose your customized LabVIEW Options. So you would have to redo them.

Another approach is just deleting all the recent paths entries.

Thanks, Mike. The last time this happened deleting my ini file I thought was one of the first things I tried and it had no effect. LV refused to open again this morning so I deleted everything in my .ini file that I didn't put in the last time I customized it. Booted right up. Then I logged in here and saw your response. Is there a bug listed for this? I've never filed a bug report before so I think I'll slip over to the Dark Side and look into it. Anxious to get to work I didn't think of saving the corrupt portion of the file to send to NI. I will just have to wait until it happens again. It WILL happen again. I'm certain of that.;)