NI LabVIEW C Generator

Too bad they don't have something that goes the other way.

I wonder how well this actually works.

I assume its an offshoot from their embedded tool kits (you can't run LV on for example an ARM processor). where you write stuff in LV and it generates the C code which you then have to compile using a C compiler. The other way round would be awesome.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Did any of you ended up trying the LabVIEW C Generator? Did you try NI's example? I have been trying to make the shipping example work following their instructions and I can not get it to work.

Here is my cross-post :ph34r: including video and snapshots of my steps to follow the instructions in the "Getting Started with the NI LabVIEW C Generator":

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Embedded/Can-not-get-example-to-work-after-following-instructions-given/td-p/1784658

I am sure I am missing some little obvious step, I just have been away from text based programming for a very long time (thankfully ;) )

Thanks,

Fab

I did play with it briefly, converting a few simple contain VIs to C code. I remember the C code seeming overwhelmingly complex, but that's mostly to be expected. I can't remember if I compiled it or not, but I'm leaning towards no.

Have you tried a screen recording app like FRAPS? That might let you catch what's going on in the window. I can see your target is Linux, have you tried compiling for win32 and checking the results?

Have you tried a screen recording app like FRAPS? That might let you catch what's going on in the window. I can see your target is Linux, have you tried compiling for win32 and checking the results?

I tried with jing when I did the video for the post, but I couldn't see anything, even when I went frame by frame. Compiling for win32 was going to be my next attempt.

I also tried "./GCD.exe" instead of run GCD.exe. That let me see the result, but the result is wrong. I get 1629764006 as a result, which is not the greatest common divisor between 12 and 15

;) And I get that long number as a reply no matter what arguments I give it. So there might be something else wrong here. If I make it work, I will let you know.

Thanks,

Fab

Since I know some of you might be loosing sleep over this issue ;)

here is the latest response from an AE in the forum post:

"

Hey Fab,

I have been able to replicate what you are seeing using your code. I was originally testing on LabVIEW 8.6 and I think what you have found may be a bug in the 2011 version of the C Code Generator. I am going to continue to work on it here and will post back with a solution or work around when I get it.

"

So, it might be that nobody at NI ever ran this example in LabVIEW 2011 until now... :thumbup1:

anyway, I will keep you posted, so you can be able to sleep again :D

Fab

Edited by Fab
  • Like 1