Make a Labview application available on internet

Hello,

I'm new in Labview. I had developed an application in Labview 2009 that change the voltage of a power generator in different modes and should be running continuously. Now, I will like to have the same functionality available on internet.

I have been researching on internet and I found 2 different possibilities:

1.-Remote Panels

2. - Create a web page, which invoices a labview web service that obtain data from the application using the shared variables.

I have several doubts about both of them,

0.- Are there any other approach to do that? Are the pproachs that I found correct?

1. - I had built a .exe application. Is it possible to use the remote panels when you are using an .exe? I had managed to use remote panels when I am executing a vi directly, I don't know if is possible to use them when you are executing the exe itself.

2. - In my application the data change quickly. If I use the second option, how can I keep the webpage updated without asking the web service every second?

3.-In the future I will include in my application an image obtained from a video camera, how can I include this image in the web?

Thanks in advance for your help:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
0.- Are there any other approach to do that? Are the pproachs that I found correct?

There are some more approachs, like using CGI (Common Gate Interface), a library included in the Internet Toolkit, but these two approach are better.

1. - I had built a .exe application. Is it possible to use the remote panels when you are using an .exe? I had managed to use remote panels when I am executing a vi directly, I don't know if is possible to use them when you are executing the exe itself.

I don't think so, but I don´t know. You must have the VI executing to can use the remote panel.

2. - In my application the data change quickly. If I use the second option, how can I keep the webpage updated without asking the web service every second?

it is impossible. A web service is like a webpage, you send a request and the server send back a response, so if you want to update the state of the VI, you must to send a new request. I'm doing something like you want to do, and I´m using AJAX to maintain updated the states of the variables.

3.-In the future I will include in my application an image obtained from a video camera, how can I include this image in the web?

I can´t help you with this point, I don´t know nothing about this.

I suggest you to try to use a remote panel, is quicker and easier than web service, but if the VI is big, the remote panel can need more resources. If you want to use webservices, be careful because you only can recieve a response when the VI finished its ejecution, so you would have to modify the VI to break the loops.

PS: Sorry for my english, I hope you can understand it