How can I print VI's background image

Fab

I found this post from Christina:

http://www.eyesonvis.com/blog/2007/03/labview-ui-trick-panel-wallpaper.html

and I added an image as a background on my VI. The problem is that now when I use the property method for the VI "Print.Panel To Printer" I get a gray square instead of the image I had set as my background.

Is there a way to make the background print?

Thanks,

Fab

My workaround is to have the image as background and then add the same image to the front panel. Then programmatically I make it visible only for printing and then invisible again so it does not get in the way when I am editing my front panel.

But it would be nice not to have all that extra code.

Thanks,

Fab

The short answer is: "no, I think you're stuck with your workaround code."

Longer answer: I found a CAR on this issue. It appears that the panel background images were never implemented to work with printing or the "Get Image" methods. There are some who argue that this is a reasonable behavior; after all, most web pages, when printed, will not print the background image by default. However, it seems to me that we should provide the option to print the background image. Unfortunately, adding such a printing option is not a trivial request, so I'm not optimistic about it being prioritized higher than other requests in the near future.

The short answer is: "no, I think you're stuck with your workaround code."

Longer answer: I found a CAR on this issue. It appears that the panel background images were never implemented to work with printing or the "Get Image" methods. There are some who argue that this is a reasonable behavior; after all, most web pages, when printed, will not print the background image by default. However, it seems to me that we should provide the option to print the background image. Unfortunately, adding such a printing option is not a trivial request, so I'm not optimistic about it being prioritized higher than other requests in the near future.

Christina,

Do you think I should post it in the Idea forum? I don't think we are going to get too much support, because this is one of those properties that are not widely known... but one never knows ;)

Thanks for your post. I hope everything is going well with you :D

Fab