"Get Property" and "Set Property" private methods

Sparc

post-1232-0-60662700-1289924348_thumb.pn

The Help description is so tantalizing for these two methods it's almost unbearable: "Property Pages use this for generic get/set of properties." The interface to them is dead simple too: one I32 array, one variant. Sounds pretty ideal for a "Property Saver" type tool. Instead of nested case structures and class coercions you just wire an array and a variant to a Generic class method.

Unfortunately, I can't get them to work. I've tried a wide variety of inputs to these guys and so far I've gotten nothing but 1058 errors: "LabVIEW: Specified property not found." About the only thing I have learned is if the array has more than 13 elements you'll crash LabVIEW.

Searching the usual places has resulted in nothing. But then searching for terms like "get" and "property" turns up many non-relevant results.

Has any one else had any luck or have additional knowledge about these two functions?

These are private methods (brown) that have not been released by NI, even with the scripting license released last year.

They are undocumented because they are for their internal use.

They might be relics that have been replaced by Tags, but that's just a wild guess.

Where did you get them? Scripting Workbench?

I just did a search...those methods are not used anywhere (including the Property Pages) in LabVIEW 2010.

I have an educated guess as to their purpose, though. Back when the Property Pages were first added to LabVIEW in version 7.0, there were many properties of VI objects that were not yet exposed in VI Server. As a result, the Get/Set Object methods were added, and hard-coded indices to an internal database of properties were used for getting/setting properties of controls. As the VI Server interface to objects improved, this mechanism was no longer needed, as evidenced by the fact that the Property Pages now (in LabVIEW 2010) rely entirely on VI Server to get/set object properties.

-D

• Like 1

Turned 'em on using a super-secret and private key in the LabVIEW INI file.

I just did a search...those methods are not used anywhere (including the Property Pages) in LabVIEW 2010.

I have an educated guess as to their purpose, though. Back when the Property Pages were first added to LabVIEW in version 7.0, there were many properties of VI objects that were not yet exposed in VI Server. As a result, the Get/Set Object methods were added, and hard-coded indices to an internal database of properties were used for getting/setting properties of controls. As the VI Server interface to objects improved, this mechanism was no longer needed, as evidenced by the fact that the Property Pages now (in LabVIEW 2010) rely entirely on VI Server to get/set object properties.

-D

That correlates well with some other "research" I've done. There are a handful of VIs down in <LabVIEW>\resource\PropertyPages\ that look liked they'd be used with these properties, but they also appear to be orphans as I can't catch LV ever trying to use them.

Thank you for the insight.

These are private methods (brown) that have not been released by NI, even with the scripting license released last year.

They are undocumented because they are for their internal use.

They might be relics that have been replaced by Tags, but that's just a wild guess.

BTW, does anybody know how to prepare data files for Scripting Workbench for versions higher than 8.5? Just to know what new appeared.