Uninstall EVERYTHING

PaulG.

I have to do a complete uninstall and reinstall of my LV 2009 and DSC module. No problem. I'm surprised it's lasted this long without any corruption issues considering how hard I've been hammering it. :throwpc:

I inherited this system and the guy who installed the software installed EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING. After selecting EVERYTHING NI in Add or Remove it told me I had 567 :o programs to uninstall. Now I'm on 17 of 567. I started almost an hour ago. A couple of questions:

How long will this take? Do I need to go home and bring back a sleeping bag and an overnight bag?

After this and msiblast is there anything else I need to do before I consider this time well spent and I can install a fresh copy of 2009?

Thanks in advance.

I have to do a complete uninstall and reinstall of my LV 2009 and DSC module. No problem. I'm surprised it's lasted this long without any corruption issues considering how hard I've been hammering it. :throwpc:

I inherited this system and the guy who installed the software installed EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING. After selecting EVERYTHING NI in Add or Remove it told me I had 567 :o programs to uninstall. Now I'm on 17 of 567. I started almost an hour ago. A couple of questions:

How long will this take? Do I need to go home and bring back a sleeping bag and an overnight bag?

After this and msiblast is there anything else I need to do before I consider this time well spent and I can install a fresh copy of 2009?

Thanks in advance.

I hope your machine is networked to the internet. Mine isn't and after an install I have to hand type in 23 activation codes angry.gif It's all got a bit ridiculous sad.gif

Yes, it takes forever to uninstall and install everything from NI. I would also recommend a registry cleanup. I have ran into problems where I would uninstall all NI software, reinstall, and my problem was still there. I found that I had to delete some registry entries in order to really start clean.frusty.gif

Now that I'm thinking about it, it might be easier to reformat the hard drive and start from scratch.

Edited by crossrulz

Indeed.You will still have plenty of time to learn Russian so you can read it biggrin.gif

At my company, we don't get administrative rights to our office computers (fortunately, this does not apply to our laboratory machines, YET). Anyway, when I install software on my office machine, I have to call IT, who can remotely log in to my computer and temporarily elevate my account to administrative rights so I can do my own installs. It used to be that they would elevate rights then leave you alone and trust you to reboot to return to standard user rights.

But my last install, I was informed that they would have to stay remotely logged in to watch my actions to make sure I wasn't doing something bad. When I informed them that the NI installs take hours (4+ in the this case), there was dead silence on the other end. They very quickly developed a new procedure where they can grant exemptions to the new rule.

At my company, we don't get administrative rights to our office computers (fortunately, this does not apply to our laboratory machines, YET). Anyway, when I install software on my office machine, I have to call IT, who can remotely log in to my computer and temporarily elevate my account to administrative rights so I can do my own installs. It used to be that they would elevate rights then leave you alone and trust you to reboot to return to standard user rights.

But my last install, I was informed that they would have to stay remotely logged in to watch my actions to make sure I wasn't doing something bad. When I informed them that the NI installs take hours (4+ in the this case), there was dead silence on the other end. They very quickly developed a new procedure where they can grant exemptions to the new rule.

Yup. I had a similar experience. At my old firm IT insisted that the had to install everything. I gave them a list of Labview and all the packages I needed and went and played with some instruments. After an hour they called me back to say it was complete. Great :) Where are the toolkits/packages? Umm. how do you install them (they said). So I showed them.

After a few hours of sitting watching the install and drinking copious amounts of coffee the IT uy said "OK I'm off home". I said "When you come in tomorrow you need to phone NI and get all the activation codes (license was in ITs name). See you tomorrow so we can activate them all. Oh and by the way, we need to do this all again forl 8.2, 7.1 and 6.0 Can we do that the day after?"

Next morning I had local admin rights and they transferred the license into my name biggrin.gif

Grab a good Russian novel with that sleeping bag. I typically start that sort of thing before I go home for the night.

Tim

I was hoping I could uninstall today and reinstall before I went home this evening. 3 hours later it's deleting file 121 of 567. Doing the math .... it won't be done until close to midnight.

I was hoping I could uninstall today and reinstall before I went home this evening. 3 hours later it's deleting file 121 of 567. Doing the math .... it won't be done until close to midnight.

It is, of course, not necessarily linear, but I wouldn't expect to be able to start installing stuff until lunch tomorrow after you've spent tomorrow morning cleaning up the aftermath ;)