What other languages do you use?

TheBoss

[soapbox]

The language used isn't all that important, really. It's just a tool.

As an analogy, the knowledge of how to build a house is much more important, and harder to acquire, than the ability to use a table saw.

In the same way, the knowledge of how to build a functioning system that includes software is more important than the tools you use.

[/soapbox]

Sorry, it leaked out.

Joe Z.

• Like 1

As an analogy, the knowledge of how to build a house is much more important, and harder to acquire, than the ability to use a table saw.

Depends on your role in the house-building process. If I'm the carpenter I'll focus on how to use a table saw thank you very much. The architect isn't in much danger of cutting off his thumb because he was careless while sharpening his pencil. ;)

(Actually I agree with your statement--the language used to write an application is far less important than your average c++ developer would lead you to believe, and most software design principles are largely language agnostic. I just had an uncontrollable urge to poke my finger through the hole in your metaphor. :) )

--------------

To answer the OP, if we couldn't use LV anymore I'd probably switch over to C#.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am going to start using VB2010 Net4 along with LabVIEW.

I'll admit my eyes are barely open on this, but I am attracted to VB's (relatively new) ability to OO on NEt4

(IF its a pipe dream chime in. I'll listen if you been there and have the t-shirt to prove it!! )

At the least, learning NET seems to be giving me better understanding of specification level OO (which I could carry into LabVIEW at some point).

I know a lot of you guys probably C++ or ansi C along with LabVIEW but I prefer the VB syntax from the old VB6 days.

I am going to start using VB2010 Net4 along with LabVIEW.

I come from a VB6 background as well. If you have the choice, I would recommend C# over VB.Net. Functionally they are nearly identical, but there are a few things that gave C# the edge when I was making the choice.

-Personally I think the object syntax is easier to follow in C# than in VB.

-As a language it has a bit more flexibility in that it has the ability to run unsafe code blocks.

-There is still a perception that VB is not a language for serious programming. (Reality doesn't matter if the hiring manager believes it to be true.)

-There are more C# resources available than VB resources.

-The C# user base is larger than the VB user base. (Meaning more C# jobs.) The difference appears to be growing.

-C# syntax is closer to that of other mainstream programming languages (Java, C++) making it slightly easier to make those transitions.

Practically speaking the differences are minor so it really comes down to personal preference.

Practically speaking the differences are minor so it really comes down to personal preference.

I fully agree! :rolleyes: And for me VB always has been a nightmare to deal with. Apart of the syntax which I always found fuzzy and unclear (coming from Pascal and Modula which we learned in school) I HATED the separation of the code into separate methods for every event and what else. If I wanted to get an overview of a program I had to either print it out or click through many methods to get even an idea about what the code does and how. I'm pretty sure the more modern versions of VB at least allow a different more full view of the code but this together with the syntax that always seemed rather unstructured and ad hoc from a design view point made me avoid VB like the devil.

C# is a bit better in that respect but after having dabbled in Java a bit I prefer it above C#. The only thing I don't like about Java is the fact that it doesn't support unsigned integers and other "low" level stuff. It makes interfacing to binary protocols for instance a bit more of a challenge since you have often to deal with proper sign extension and that sort of thing.

-There is still a perception that VB is not a language for serious programming. (Reality doesn't matter if the hiring manager believes it to be true.)

LabVIEW definitely falls into this category. I have no idea how many times I have tried to explain that I actually program entire programs in LV to text only programmers. They almost never believe me. (Sometimes even after showing them LV examples)

• Like 1