How to identiy DLL created version?

I have created one DLL through labVIEW long back, now i want to know from which version of Labview it is created......Is it possible to identify?????

If you try to invoke it on a reasonably clean computer, I'd imagine you would get a dialog box saying "This DLL requires the LabVIEW x.x Run-Time Engine." or some such thing.

Jason

Okay I have a solution, but before I give it let me say this is one of those things I hate about LabVIEW. If I build an EXE or DLL I don't know what version of LabVIEW it was built with. If you build an EXE it will say you need runtime engine X if it is not installed but if you have 4 installed and it works, how do you know which one it is?

Asbo was close. Download a Sysinternals application called ListDLLS. It says what DLLs are in memory and the version of them. This will tell you the version of your own DLL that is loaded in memory, but more importantly it will tell you the version of the lvrt.dll that is loaded into memory, which tells you which run time engine it uses to run your DLL.

I tested it with an EXE and it works fine. I made a hello world program, then ran Listdlls.exe > Dlls.txt

Then opened Dlls.txt and searched for the name of my EXE, it listed all Dlls it was using, and the version. For me it was 7.01.0001.4000 (LabVIEW 7.1).

Not sure what will happen if the required runtime engine isn't installed, I don't deal with LabVIEW DLLs very often.

I tried opening the file in a hex editor to see if I could find the version of LabVIEW it used, but I wasn't sure if I was looking at the right version, or just a random number that happened to be 7.1. Hope this helps.

I've never found an easy way to do do this programmatically within LV.

I use one of two techniques.

1. Create a function in the DLL called Get_Ver which will return the the dll version and LV version used (I don't use this much any more)

2. When you build the dll, put the LV version in the description section.

It won't help you for the current DLL. But you shouldn't have a problem in the future.

I tried opening the file in a hex editor to see if I could find the version of LabVIEW it used, but I wasn't sure if I was looking at the right version, or just a random number that happened to be 7.1. Hope this helps.

Were you looking for ASCII digits? It's entirely possible that it'd be stored in some binary format.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I was looking at ASCII. The data has to be in there somewhere, I just didn't invest much time trying to find it.

LabVIEW uses for many version specific things a 4 byte integer which encodes the version in nibbles. And newer

LabVIEW versions compress almost everything in the VI to safe space and load time, but this also makes any

internal information very hard to read.