Utility that creates VIs to read/write a section cluster from/to INI file

I've had such an utility in mind for a long long time.

Use case : When I start coding a new project, one of my first task is to create all the typedef clusters that will be necessary to store configuration settings, then I create VIs to read/write these "section cluster" from/to INI file (based on OpenG read/write section cluster).

All this clearly can be automated.

Using the following list as inspiration sources, I started to develop such an utility as a sandbox plugin. I'm planning to post it here sometime soon.

Before that I was wandering if anyone thinks this would be useful for them :-o

Inspiration list :

• the RCF plugin that creates a typedef cluster from a cluster constant,
  • the create polymorphic VI example from the code repository
  • vugie's scripting sandbox RCF

PS: I have a video to show what it does know but it's too big to be posted here, I'll find a way to share it very soon.

I've had such an utility in mind for a long long time.

Use case : When I start coding a new project, one of my first task is to create all the typedef clusters that will be necessary to store configuration settings, then I create VIs to read/write these "section cluster" from/to INI file (based on OpenG read/write section cluster).

All this clearly can be automated.

Using the following list as inspiration sources, I started to develop such an utility as a sandbox plugin. I'm planning to post it here sometime soon.

Before that I was wandering if anyone thinks this would be useful for them :-o

Inspiration list :

• the RCF plugin that creates a typedef cluster from a cluster constant,
  • the create polymorphic VI example from the code repository
  • vugie's scripting sandbox RCF

PS: I have a video to show what it does know but it's too big to be posted here, I'll find a way to share it very soon.

I wrote one of those in LV 7 scripting but dropped after the demo for my boss crashed. I was motivated by an application where the "clusters" were defined by a commitee and changed almost weekly (with more than 60K fileds scattered through more than 30 type defs, keeping up with the updates was keeping a very bored developer busy and cross-eyed.

I was able to get away with most of it by creating a templates VIs and type def's and playing games with renaming and opening after saving the new cluster by the old name ....

The only thing that had to be scripted was creating new actions (by cloning ohers) and then re-linking bundle/unbundles.

It worked fine at home.

Have fun,

Ben

Here is the code.

Just extraxt to the Scripting Sandbox Scripts folder (~\LabVIEW 8.5+\resource\JKI\RCF\Plugins\Scripting Sandbox\Scripts) and get going.

Any comment / suggestions will be very welcome.

Of course RCF needs to be installed and the Scripting Sandbox plugin too.

The only dependency is the CCT

Enjoy

Create Section VIs.zip