Guide to using LVcompare with ClearCase

dannyt

Hi all,

I have got the LabVIEW LVCompare.exe working with ClearCase on windows.

This means that you can do LV differencing using the source control integration with LabVIEW or from the ClearCase explore or the tree view.

Would anybody be interested in a step by step guide on how to do this ?

For those in the know you just need to edit the ClearCase map file ( C:\Program Files\Rational\ClearCase\lib\mgrs\map ) and change the compare & xcompare type managers for the correct file type.

z_whole_copy		compare				..\..\bin\cleardiff.exez_whole_copy		xcompare			..\..\bin\cleardiffmrg.exechange to z_whole_copy            compare                     	..\..\..\..\NATION~1\Shared\LABVIE~4\LVCompare.exe z_whole_copy            xcompare                        ..\..\..\..\NATION~1\Shared\LABVIE~4\LVCompare.exe 

but as I said if anybody was interested I could do a step by step guide.

Danny

Good info,

could you create a page on the LabVIEW wiki, have a look at the Mercurial page for an example.

Ton

Hi Ton,

Thank you for pointing my that way.

I have created a new entry on the Wiki ClearCase and have put in there more details on how to set this up. I will try and over time fill in some more of the heading I have created to make it a more full and worthwhile entry. I hope people forgive my spelling.

I am not confident on the categories in the wiki but it would be nice for the Set up differencing capabilities page to actually go to a page with links to settingup subversion, setting up Mercurial, setting up ClearCase etc. rather than just go to the subversion one

cheers

Dannyt

PS you can use spaces in the map file mentioned about so use

z_whole_copy compare ..\..\..\..\National Instruments\Shared\LabVIEW Compare\LVCompare.exe

z_whole_copy xcompare ..\..\..\..\National Instruments\Shared\LabVIEW Compare\LVCompare.exe

rather than

z_whole_copy compare ..\..\..\..\NATION~1\Shared\LA9418~1\LVMerge.exe

z_whole_copy xcompare ..\..\..\..\NATION~1\Shared\LA9418~1\LVMerge.exe

Edited by dannyt
  • 5 months later...

Hi,

A small update, if you want to be able to use the possible command line switches, with the LVCompare.exe and ClearCase you will need to use some form of wrapper to allow you to select the switch options and add them to the ClearCase passed in args and pass then onto LVCopmare.

Here is a simple version, written in LabVIEW 2010.

When you do a ClearCase difference it will launch the pop up below allow you to select the compare options then launch the compare

post-7256-0-70801400-1305622134_thumb.jp

The Zip file contains the files

go_compare.vi

Go-Compare.exe

Install NOTES.txt

To install

1) Copy the executable to the dir

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\LabVIEW Compare\

2) Edit the Clearcase map file

C:\Program Files\Rational\ClearCase\lib\mgrs\map make a copy first :-)

the lines for the z_whole_copy compare & xcompare should be changed

from

z_whole_copy compare ..\..\bin\cleardiff.exe

z_whole_copy xcompare ..\..\bin\cleardiffmrg.exe

to

z_whole_copy compare ..\..\..\..\National Instruments\Shared\LabVIEW Compare\Go-Compare.exe

z_whole_copy xcompare ..\..\..\..\National Instruments\Shared\LabVIEW Compare\Go-Compare.exe

if you only want the default LVCompare without the wrapper to change compare options use

z_whole_copy compare ..\..\..\..\National Instruments\Shared\LabVIEW Compare\LVcompare.exe

z_whole_copy xcompare ..\..\..\..\National Instruments\Shared\LabVIEW Compare\LVcompare.exe

Hope some people find this useful

go_compare.zip