"View Unread Content" does not handle multi-page threads nicely

1. Go to the View Unread Content page.
  2. Find a thread which has multiple pages and where the oldest unread post is not in the last page.
  3. Click the link which brings you to the oldest unread post.
  4. Don't continue to the last page of thread.
  5. Reload the View Unread Content page again.
  6. The thread does not appear in the list even though you haven't read the last page yet.

I run into this sometimes when I don't notice that there's another page. When I click the link again, the thread isn't in the list, thus causing me to miss posts.

• 1 month later...

It's actually even worse. I just had a thread disappear from the list when I haven't even read it at all.

Here's what happened:

1. I went to the unread list.
  2. I opened some of the links in new tabs.
  3. I went to the second page of the unread list.
  4. I went back to the first page.
  5. I saw a thread () which had some new posts, but which I thought might have too many new posts.
  6. To check whether it was too long, I right clicked the OOP forum name next to the topic title and opened the forum in a new tab to see when the topic was started.
  7. At the same time, I refreshed the unread list page.
  8. When I looked at the other tab, the thread was marked as read and it no longer appeared in the unread list.

I think this happened because of what I did at step 6. Maybe any interaction with the line in the unread list causes it to be marked as read.

• 6 months later...

According to the links you posted to the update notes last week (which I can't find at the moment), this issue was fixed in the new version. However, I just saw this happen with two threads using the exact repro steps which appear in the first post (in this specific case, these threads were the LAVA upgrade announcement and the OpenG in user.lib threads).

I don't know what to tell ya. But in IMO, if you click on the title or the last unread link then you should just read the remaining thread. The page delimitation is just an arbitrary delineation. If you don't want to read it then don't click on the thread. What if it was just one long single page, then what part of the thread is considered unread?

In any case here's a link to the initial release notes. And the subsequent bug fix release.

If you want to post this directly to their bug tracker go here. Not sure if you can do this if you're not a customer but give it a shot.

The division by pages may be arbitrary, but it still reflects whether I have or haven't read something. Part of the problem is also that the page links aren't prominent enough and it's easy to miss them. If the topic wouldn't be marked as read automatically, I would see it in the list even if I haven't noticed that there's another page. Personally, I would have liked it if the forums also had a feature which allowed you to mark a post as unread. The NI forums have this and I find it useful.

Before I post this on their forums, I want to be sure we actually have the latest version. That's 3.2.0, right?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

This issue seems to have come back. Here's a description -

There's a thread with 4 new replies on page 1 and 8 new replies on page 2, for a total of 12 unread replies.

If I click the First Unread Post bullet and don't go into page 2 manually, the topic disappears from the new content list, even though I haven't actually read page 2.

If I just click the page 1 link in the new content list, the topic stays in the list until I actually go into page 2.

• 2 months later...

The problem was not with getting to the first post (although there were times in the past where there was such a problem too). The problem was with the next page being marked as read even if you didn't go into it. As said, it currently seems to work correctly.

• 4 weeks later...