Suggestion Required

Hello Friends,

For one of my project I have to use a Front Panel Control which displays Channel Name and Acquired Data. The control should able to display twenty Channels details, with Channel Name in First Line with medium Font size and Data in the Second Line with Bigger Font Size Twenty channels as mentioned above is not fixed... It can be varied run time, aything from 4 Channels to 96 Channels.

Please suggest suitable control to be used which will satisfy the requirements.

Using LabVIEW Version 7.1

Attaching an example image for reference

Hello Friends,

For one of my project I have to use a Front Panel Control which displays Channel Name and Acquired Data. The control should able to display twenty Channels details, with Channel Name in First Line with medium Font size and Data in the Second Line with Bigger Font Size Twenty channels as mentioned above is not fixed... It can be varied run time, aything from 4 Channels to 96 Channels.

Please suggest suitable control to be used which will satisfy the requirements.

Using LabVIEW Version 7.1

Attaching an example image for reference

... and if you don't like the 2d array of clusters idea you could crate an cluster of 96 elements and hid all o the un-used... but then scrolling would require more work.

Ben

... and if you don't like the 2d array of clusters idea you could crate an cluster of 96 elements and hid all o the un-used... but then scrolling would require more work.

Ben

Creating 96 Clusters will make my block Diagram occupying more space..

Is it possible to use Table instead of 2D Array or Clusters. But the difficulty I felt was the font Size. I used the Multiline Input option in Table Enabled. But I am not able to adjust the Font Size for each Line...

Creating 96 Clusters will make my block Diagram occupying more space..

Is it possible to use Table instead of 2D Array or Clusters. But the difficulty I felt was the font Size. I used the Multiline Input option in Table Enabled. But I am not able to adjust the Font Size for each Line...

That is what sub-VIs are for.

Hint:

In LV 7.1 you could step through the lements of a cluster using the control refs of all of the controls in the cluster. If all of the elements are the same you can just iterate through them and use "Value Property" nodes to set each indicator.

I think the table approach is a no-go (and if you thought the cluster of cluster required a lot of code...)

Ben

What about 2 arrays One with the headers (channel names) and one with your data. Then you can set the fonts different for each array.

< some time later after copious amount of caffeine >

try this wink.gif

But my requirement is, in a single cell, I should have two lines. Line 1 = Channel Name - Medium Font, Line 2= Data-Bigger Font

Array of clusters it is then rolleyes.gif

Array of clusters is what I am using currently with 2D Array of 4 Rows and 4 Columns fixed. This holds good for 16 Channels.

Suppose if I want to change the no of channels to say 8, then the array should resize to 2 rows 4 Columns (This is possible).

For example: 4 Rows x 4 Cols will be my default array size, when it is changed to 2 Rows x 4 Columns, the size of the array element should increase to accommodate to 4 Rows x 4 Cols Size.....

Array of clusters is what I am using currently with 2D Array of 4 Rows and 4 Columns fixed. This holds good for 16 Channels.

Suppose if I want to change the no of channels to say 8, then the array should resize to 2 rows 4 Columns (This is possible).

For example: 4 Rows x 4 Cols will be my default array size, when it is changed to 2 Rows x 4 Columns, the size of the array element should increase to accommodate to 4 Rows x 4 Cols Size.....

The size of the elements in the cluster can be resized. Pop-up on the cluster n the array adn create property node .... When you resize on cluster the other will do the same.

have fun!

Ben

The "number of rows/columns" property nodes will enable you to display different numbers of rows and cols.

Now I think I can proceed further.

Thanks Ben and Shaun for your valuable suggestions

In the mode of "teaching a man to fish..."

When I was taught LV Basic I and II, I was instructed by Rich Brueggman (the first non-NI person to be certified as an CPI) taught me a lot of subtle point about LV, but the one thing that he said that would have helped you help yourself was...

"When in dout, right-click"

That would have helped you. BTW: It is a good idea to start right-clicking on obects after new LV releases. I have found mant gems under a right-click.

THe other early leason came from my next G-Daddy, Jay Grasel, now a VP with NI) who told me...

"If you don't know how an operator works, do a ctrl-c followed by a ctrl-n."

Ctrl-n is the short-cut for new VI where I drop the opertor and start experimenting.

Like I said, have fun!

Ben

In the mode of "teaching a man to fish..."

When I was taught LV Basic I and II, I was instructed by Rich Brueggman (the first non-NI person to be certified as an CPI) taught me a lot of subtle point about LV, but the one thing that he said that would have helped you help yourself was...

"When in dout, right-click"

That would have helped you. BTW: It is a good idea to start right-clicking on obects after new LV releases. I have found mant gems under a right-click.

THe other early leason came from my next G-Daddy, Jay Grasel, now a VP with NI) who told me...

"If you don't know how an operator works, do a ctrl-c followed by a ctrl-n."

Ctrl-n is the short-cut for new VI where I drop the opertor and start experimenting.

Like I said, have fun!

Ben

That was an wonderful saying... Thanks a lot Mr. Ben. Cheers...

• 1 month later...

may be its too late to comment on this post as you might have already finished coding

but i think using multi-column list can be a good choice

you still need to have one row for channel name and one for data, so that you can have different font sizes, but you can have altrenate background colors for rows and if you select channel rows background color exactly as grid color then you can have one cell with two row kind of effect.

And i think looks wise it will be way superior to array of cluster approach