Marketable test engineering skills

joshxdr

I am currently working for a division of a military electronics company that makes both digital and RF/Microwave parts. I currently have a CLD in LabVIEW and lots of experience in digital (memory and logic) and DC analog (power management) test. I am looking to improve my pay and job security while staying with my current employer. I have been thinking about pursuing extra projects to learn one or more of the following:

1) Security clearance

2) Experience with PXI

3) RF/Microwave test experience

4) TestStand

5) Text programming experience like LabWindows CVI

6) Rest on my laurels, take long lunches at Chili's

I would be interested in comments as to which one would be best in terms of increasing my value in the military electronics world.

I am currently working for a division of a military electronics company that makes both digital and RF/Microwave parts. I currently have a CLD in LabVIEW and lots of experience in digital (memory and logic) and DC analog (power management) test. I am looking to improve my pay and job security while staying with my current employer. I have been thinking about pursuing extra projects to learn one or more of the following:

1) Security clearance

2) Experience with PXI

3) RF/Microwave test experience

4) TestStand

5) Text programming experience like LabWindows CVI

6) Rest on my laurels, take long lunches at Chili's

I would be interested in comments as to which one would be best in terms of increasing my value in the military electronics world.

Security clearence. We have a shop locally that I call a "black hole" since every engineer or scientist that crosses over that event horizon is never seen again outside the fence.

Getting clearences these days is not easy. If you have one already, you have a leg up.

Ben

• Like 1

I'm not so sure about the secutiry clearance, unless you want to actively pursue work within an organization that requires it - I assume you already have the most often required clearance: ITAR. Also, as Ben said, security clearance isn't easy to get - and you'd need to convince your current comapny that you need it to execute your job.

I'd take a good strong look at TestStand and PXI. ...and, since your profile lists your LabVIEW version as 8.6, I'd start playing around with the latest version.

• Like 1

I work in a small but important corner of the company that does not require security clearance. I assume there would be more options available to me if I obtain clearance, exactly what those opportunities are is hard to say since they are secret. I have been a very good performer so far, perhaps I can request it as a perk even if my current job does not require it.

I work in a small but important corner of the company that does not require security clearance. I assume there would be more options available to me if I obtain clearance, exactly what those opportunities are is hard to say since they are secret. I have been a very good performer so far, perhaps I can request it as a perk even if my current job does not require it.

It costs thousands of dollars to process a clearance, and this cost is borne by the employer. I doubt you'll have much luck trying to get a clearance for a consulting gig. Plus your employer is probably not stupid. If you ask for a clearance when you don't need one, it will be obvious that you want it to help you go look for another job. Maybe you can just ask for a salary boost more challenges and skip the need to moonlight.

• Like 1

It costs thousands of dollars to process a clearance, and this cost is borne by the employer. I doubt you'll have much luck trying to get a clearance for a consulting gig. Plus your employer is probably not stupid. If you ask for a clearance when you don't need one, it will be obvious that you want it to help you go look for another job. Maybe you can just ask for a salary boost more challenges and skip the need to moonlight.

Actually the opportunities I am interested in are internal to my company. I have made big improvements to automation and processes in my current job, so in the future I will have time to get involved in other projects in addition to my current job. The security clearance would help with finding extra projects, but not with my current job.

My employer currently pays for education expense if it has long-term benefit at the company, even if it is irrelevant to your current job. For example, my technician is studying to be an engineer and the company pays. I wonder if security clearance could be looked at in the same way?

Actually the opportunities I am interested in are internal to my company. I have made big improvements to automation and processes in my current job, so in the future I will have time to get involved in other projects in addition to my current job. The security clearance would help with finding extra projects, but not with my current job.

My employer currently pays for education expense if it has long-term benefit at the company, even if it is irrelevant to your current job. For example, my technician is studying to be an engineer and the company pays. I wonder if security clearance could be looked at in the same way?

Forget about the clearence for now. Instead work on getting good enough to start holding "Thursday Night Beer and Study Night" where you teach others. When the people behind the locked door realize you are an assest, you may get the invitation you are looking for.

Ben

• Like 1

Forget about the clearence for now. Instead work on getting good enough to start holding "Thursday Night Beer and Study Night" where you teach others. When the people behind the locked door realize you are an assest, you may get the invitation you are looking for.

Ben

I guess this is why my wife keeps telling me I need to network more. If I don't get my name out there, the "people behind the locked door" will never know who I am, no matter how well I do my job.