USB DAQ device on virtualised windows XP...

PA-Paul

Hi All,

I recently had to upgrade my laptop PC to one running windows 7 (Pro 64bit). For work I still have to use labview 8.6 which doesn't support windows 7, so, since I'm running win7 Pro, I opted to install labview 8.6 on windows XP in the virtual PC mode. I can connect USB devices to the virtual machine no problem, but the USB DAQ card I'm trying to use (NI USB6211) is detected when its plugged in for the first time, the driver starts to install then it says there was an issue and stops... The device doesn't show up in NIMax and in the device manager there's a yellow ? next to it, and the status is listed as "This device cannot start"

Anyone come across this or a way around it (short of sticking to LV 2010 on win 7?

Thanks

Paul

Hi All,

I recently had to upgrade my laptop PC to one running windows 7 (Pro 64bit). For work I still have to use labview 8.6 which doesn't support windows 7, so, since I'm running win7 Pro, I opted to install labview 8.6 on windows XP in the virtual PC mode. I can connect USB devices to the virtual machine no problem, but the USB DAQ card I'm trying to use (NI USB6211) is detected when its plugged in for the first time, the driver starts to install then it says there was an issue and stops... The device doesn't show up in NIMax and in the device manager there's a yellow ? next to it, and the status is listed as "This device cannot start"

Anyone come across this or a way around it (short of sticking to LV 2010 on win 7?

Thanks

Paul

I think it may have been the week before last when I came back into the office and overheard a conversation where the gang was plesed with their overnight adventures and the running joke was "Running hardware on a virtual machine." They abandoned the machine provided by the customer (XP running in a virtual machine) and switched to one of ours.

Ben

Hi,

I had almost the same issue with an XP VM on a vista host.

My VM showed a bluescreen when I connected the USB device.

I'm using VMware workstation and I upgraded the version of the Virtual XP to workstation6.5 and the issue was solved

(Before booting the virtual XP: choose VM>>change version ...)

Don't know why it solved the issue, but it solved it :rolleyes:

Maybe this can work for you.

Wim

• Like 1

Hi,

I had almost the same issue with an XP VM on a vista host.

My VM showed a bluescreen when I connected the USB device.

I'm using VMware workstation and I upgraded the version of the Virtual XP to workstation6.5 and the issue was solved

(Before booting the virtual XP: choose VM>>change version ...)

Don't know why it solved the issue, but it solved it :rolleyes:

Maybe this can work for you.

Wim

+1

That reply is a lot better than my "WE got burned so go hide" reply.

Ben

Hi, when I first tried Win7 beta, LabVIEW 8.6 wouldn't install nicely. When I received my win7 (Pro64bit) laptop, I didn't have an issue installing 8.6. I currently still use 8.6 for some projects, although I am in the process of changing to 2010. (Just love the "separate compiled code" too much) DAQ also seams to work OK with win7 and LV8.6. The only problem I had was the font/system control changes between XP and Win7. When everything installed nicely, I abandoned the use of VirtualPC for LabVIEW use.

Thanks for the replies.

I ended up installing LV 8.6 under win7 and it seems ok - I had to do the install manually from the distributions folders on the disk, but other than that it went fine. So all is now working as it should be,

Cheers

Paul

I suggest getting a new USB DAQ system. I've been using FTezDAQ from Futek Instruments. They are fully compatible with VB, Visual Studio and Visual Studio .NET, including examples for Visual C++, Visual C#, and Visual Basic .NET. All of their usb products comes with hardware, software, driver & usb cable. They support Window XP, Vista, Window 7, etc... They support up to 24-bit ADC, 4 Differential / 8 Single-Ended Analog Inputs.

You can find out more on their website at www.futekinst.com. Complete USB DAQ kit start at $69. I've used their products for years. They are very user-friendly. Hope this helps!

I suggest getting a new USB DAQ system. I've been using FTezDAQ from Futek Instruments. They are fully compatible with VB, Visual Studio and Visual Studio .NET, including examples for Visual C++, Visual C#, and Visual Basic .NET. All of their usb products comes with hardware, software, driver & usb cable. They support Window XP, Vista, Window 7, etc... They support up to 24-bit ADC, 4 Differential / 8 Single-Ended Analog Inputs.

You can find out more on their website at www.futekinst.com. Complete USB DAQ kit start at $69. I've used their products for years. They are very user-friendly. Hope this helps!

No LabVIEW drivers?

Ben

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...