Can an XControl trigger on User-defined Events?

GregSands

I'm just learning to program an XControl and wonder whether the Facade VI can be triggered by registering for a User Event? I've been trying to handle mouse-scroll detection, and while I can get it to work using the parallel-process method suggested, having a hidden control seems slightly messy. So I was trying to get this work by using a User Event (ok, so that's not much less messy!) and registering it on the XControl's event structure. Now the event does get added to the queue, but does not trigger running the Facade VI - it only shows up the next time the Facade VI is triggered by something else.

Does anyone know more about XControls and can explain what events can or can't trigger an XControl?

I'm just learning to program an XControl and wonder whether the Facade VI can be triggered by registering for a User Event? I've been trying to handle mouse-scroll detection, and while I can get it to work using the parallel-process method suggested, having a hidden control seems slightly messy. So I was trying to get this work by using a User Event (ok, so that's not much less messy!) and registering it on the XControl's event structure. Now the event does get added to the queue, but does not trigger running the Facade VI - it only shows up the next time the Facade VI is triggered by something else.

Does anyone know more about XControls and can explain what events can or can't trigger an XControl?

Don't worry, I just found this, which states that XControls "do not wake up to handle dynamic events". I'll add this to the Idea Exchange and see if there is any support.

I would be very interested to know what are thinking LabVIEW R&D engineers about this feature request. I've came across this "issue" developing XControl and I think it's a "normal" behavior. Having the XControl waked up by dynamic event should imply that you have two ore more event structure waiting for event in the "same" vi. This can be "funny".

I hope I'm wrong and I hope to see this feature added to next LabVIEW release.

• 7 months later...

I came across this limitation as I am attempting to convert the Type Sensitive Popup to an XControl. The Dynamically registered user event to update the contents of the original cell is delayed until the next event is serviced. I've given kudos to the relevant idea here on IE requesting LV change its behaviour.

Edited by PeterB