Gun Book Review

jcarmody

This is good news, however, for you .223 fans out there.

Good news for .223 fans who worry about rampaging mobs of angry books that line up in neat rows. In my experience book mobs rarely line up for a convenient multi-kill shot--they tend to flop around flapping their covers trying to make as much noise as possible. Maybe they behave differently on your side of the country.

Mythbusters had an episode recently where they were testing to see if they could create an armored car using phone books. Putting a sheet of glass in front of the books makes them much more effective as stopping bullets. So if you're going to the library and are concerned about armed lunatics, take a piece of tempered glass with you. It might just save your life.

Please check out my new blog, the Gun Book Review, when you have a few minutes to waste. It's a tongue-in-cheek parody of serious review-type blogs where I'll discuss one of the things I do for pleasure (when I'm not programming in LabVIEW).

War and Peace next? The one book I'd rather shoot myself than read rolleyes.gif

Edited by ShaunR
Maybe they behave differently on your side of the country.

Books are very militaristic over here; very often they march in column formations. Except for the SW Engineering books which can't decide on the best architecture to use.

War and Peace next?

Funny, it would be ironic to shoot Tolstoy's work with a Russian Nagant, but I can't bring myself to shoot literature (whether good, bad or boring). I debated whether I should even publicly admit to shooting books, as revered as they are by some people. I decided to go forward because I have a ton of books that nobody wants. I can't give them away, so I'll have a little fun with them.

I remember firing one of these at a company gun club phone book shoot-out one saturday afternoon ... about kicked me into next week. :wacko: LOL's all around ... at my expense. :lol:

One time my shoulder got so sore that I didn't want to finish my round of five shots. I got through them, but it sure is a kicker.

More importantly, you ride a Honda Shadow Aero? I ride a Shadow ACE.

Cool. This is my first cruiser; it's a 2007 VT750C that I've ridden for ~32k miles.

Long range shooting interests me but currently my only long guns are a pair of .22 rifles. (Marlin 795 and Henry lever action youth.) Needless to say, they're not allowed on the 600 yard range at my club. I've been leaning towards a bolt action .223, mainly because ammo is relatively inexpensive and it has a pretty flat trajectory. I don't plan on doing any deer hunting, but I'd like to do some varminting. (Probably ground squirrels and the like.) Do you have any thoughts on a decent gun for someone new to distance shooting?