Starting out with TortoiseSVN/SVN

I have for some time been running without a source code control tool. I do realise the benefits having used one at my previous company and so I’m keen to get back to using a tool. Having read around on the forums I’ve decided that Subversion is the way to go with LV. I’m unsure of how to go about setting it up and would like to gain a bit more knowledge before I start. These are the steps I intend to take:

1) I intend to download and install TortoiseSVN on my PC from http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/

It’s described as “A SubVersion client, implemented as a windows shell extension.”

2) I presume that TortoiseSVN requires a SubVersion server set up. So, I nintend to doswnload the SubVersion server from http://subversion.apache.org/ Having taken a quick look at the FAQ it says “If you want to host a networked repository, then you need to set up either Apache2 or an "svnserve" server.”. So I intend to do that on a server PC that our development group can all access. Has anybody done this?

3) For the time being I intend not to use a plugin so that the repository can be accessed via LV project. Perhaps I may try out the demo of the JKI plugin as it seems to have much better reports than the PushOK one.

4) I realise there is a lot to set up after this and a lot to learn in the way that the tool is used but for the moment I’d like to get to point where it can be tried out.

Does that look like a sensible start?

I have for some time been running without a source code control tool. I do realise the benefits having used one at my previous company and so I’m keen to get back to using a tool. Having read around on the forums I’ve decided that Subversion is the way to go with LV. I’m unsure of how to go about setting it up and would like to gain a bit more knowledge before I start. These are the steps I intend to take:

1) I intend to download and install TortoiseSVN on my PC from http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/

It’s described as “A SubVersion client, implemented as a windows shell extension.”

2) I presume that TortoiseSVN requires a SubVersion server set up. So, I nintend to doswnload the SubVersion server from http://subversion.apache.org/ Having taken a quick look at the FAQ it says “If you want to host a networked repository, then you need to set up either Apache2 or an "svnserve" server.”. So I intend to do that on a server PC that our development group can all access. Has anybody done this?

3) For the time being I intend not to use a plugin so that the repository can be accessed via LV project. Perhaps I may try out the demo of the JKI plugin as it seems to have much better reports than the PushOK one.

4) I realise there is a lot to set up after this and a lot to learn in the way that the tool is used but for the moment I’d like to get to point where it can be tried out.

Does that look like a sensible start?

I've done both of the first tasks you mentioned, and had no problems. Take a look on the web to find guides on setting up apache2 with subversion, to help you get it right the first time. I don't use a LabVIEW project extension, although from the information I've seen on LAVA, the JKI version should integrate better with LabVIEW than the PushOK one.

Enjoy,

Chris

I'm afraid I can't help with the server setup - fortunately our IT department took care of that for me biggrin.gif.

The shell extension generally works very well and there's really no big need for the LV integration. The other advantage of working this way is that you can use TortoiseSVN with other programming languages you may use (if that's not sacrilege!)unsure.gif - for example I use it a lot for MATLAB code and also for LaTeX. it can all go in the same repository without any worries.

I'd not used source control before, but I was an instant convert. You'll never look back!

Cheers

Alex

SCC Rocks!

I am a single developer and don't use a server. I have the repository for each project on my hard drive.

See this blog post for more info

This model works great for 1 person because the "server" is easy to set up.

However if you have a team of developers I think you would have to use a server.

Good luck with TortoiseSVN I have been using it for a while and am very happy with it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies... Looks like I could be headed in the right kind of direction. The VisualSVN Server looks pretty neat. What's the pros and cons of using this over striaght subversion? . I've approached out IT dept with what I'd like to do and I'm waiting for a response. In the meantime I'll carry on reading... cheers

Edited by blue_cortina

I installed VisualSVN server on our windows small business server here and it works a treat. Extremely easy to set up and allows off site access as well. We use the free version as the extras in the corporate version look to be for companies a bit bigger than us (we only have 2 of us really developing code). Anyway, it works great!

Paul

I installed VisualSVN server on our windows small business server here and it works a treat. Extremely easy to set up and allows off site access as well. We use the free version as the extras in the corporate version look to be for companies a bit bigger than us (we only have 2 of us really developing code). Anyway, it works great!

Paul

Cheers thanks for the info, I think I'll go fo VisualSVN. Unfortunately I've got to wait for our IT Infrastructure guys to approve this before it can go adhead but at least I know what direction I'm going in.