Clearing a Breakpoint

I can't find info on this in any of the standard locations:

Place a breakpoint in a subVI.

Run the code, allowing the breakpoint to be hit.

Clear the breakpoint (before or after completing an execution).

From idle, run the top level vi again.

Execution pauses at the first object in the subvi that had the breakpoint.

I then have to step out of every vi in the heirarchy before all will run without pausing.

Is there a way around this behaviour?

I can't find info on this in any of the standard locations:

Place a breakpoint in a subVI.

Run the code, allowing the breakpoint to be hit.

Clear the breakpoint (before or after completing an execution).

From idle, run the top level vi again.

Execution pauses at the first object in the subvi that had the breakpoint.

I then have to step out of every vi in the heirarchy before all will run without pausing.

Is there a way around this behaviour?

1481[/snapback]

Hi Todd,

I guess I am confused with your question. You can remove to breakpoint from the code during the execution of your code. When this is done, you shouldn't have to step through your code because there is no break pts to be hit.

Vince

I think I understand what you mean Todd, but I'm going to hit on breakpoint behavior in general as I understand it.

From your tools palette, you can select a breakpoint tool. Judging by what you've said, I think you already know how to set them.

To clear a breakpoint, you just click on the same wire/area/etc where you set the breakpoint and it will clear it.

When a breakpoint is reached by the code, all it does is set the VI in debugging mode which pauses the VI and enables you to step through the execution of each component in your diagram.

If you want to abort the current pause, just hit the pause ( II ) button up by your run buttons and it will let your VI finish, but it doesn't clear your breakpoint. Instead, the next time your VI is called, it will run until it hits the breakpoint again.

To clear your breakpoint, click on it with the breakpoint tool from the tools palette. This can be done at runtime or when your VI isn't running.

I think you were asking how to continue the vi again from it's currently paused breakpoint without having to manually step through every component to exit the routine...right?

It turns out that I've always hit ctrl-R (Run Without Pausing) to get past a cleared breakpoint. This leaves the vi in debug mode even on subsequent calls (execution will be paused). The 'Continue' button works.

I was a LV genious until I talked to other users. :)

...I was a LV genious until I talked to other users.  :)

1494[/snapback]

I know the feeling. LOL

At my current and previous jobs, I was considered to be either THE or ONE OF THE resident "experts". I never considered myself to be, but, just like we've all experienced, if you're the one, or one of a few people that know a little about something, suddenly everybody thinks you're an expert. :D