Opening a jpeg file

I am seeking to open a jpeg file into labview 7.0. If I do not wire a file path, a dialog box appears for me to specify a file to read from. This works just as the user manual says it should. However if I wire my path to the VI

Desktop/My Documents/My Pictures/Mars1 ,this message pops up; "error 1 occurred at File/Directory Info in Check Path.vi>Read JPEG File.vi>Open a jpeg file.vi" I do have a picture of mars stored at Desktop/My Documents/My Pictures. Open a jpeg file.vi Please show me where I went wrong.

I am seeking to open a jpeg file into labview 7.0. If I do not wire a file path, a dialog box appears for me to specify a file to read from. This works just as the user manual says it should. However if I wire my path to the VI

Desktop/My Documents/My Pictures/Mars1 ,this message pops up; "error 1 occurred at File/Directory Info in Check Path.vi>Read JPEG File.vi>Open a jpeg file.vi" I do have a picture of mars stored at Desktop/My Documents/My Pictures. Open a jpeg file.vi Please show me where I went wrong.

" Desktop/My Documents/My Pictures" isn't a real path. It's similar to a short-cut to a folder that changes with each user.

To find what the real path is you can open "My Pictures" in explorer and right click on the address bar. Then choose. "Edit address". The address bar will then show you the absolute path which will be something like C:\Documents and Settings\user name\My Pictures (XP) or C:\users\user name\My Pictures (Win7/Vista).

• Like 1

" Desktop/My Documents/My Pictures" isn't a real path. It's similar to a short-cut to a folder that changes with each user.

To find what the real path is you can open "My Pictures" in explorer and right click on the address bar. Then choose. "Edit address". The address bar will then show you the absolute path which will be something like C:\Documents and Settings\user name\My Pictures (XP) or C:\users\user name\My Pictures (Win7/Vista).

Thank You ShaunR. I reckon that is just what I needed to know.

Thank You ShaunR. I reckon that is just what I needed to know.

I am still working on this one Shaun. I am using XP. Address bar shows C:\Documents and Settings\C.Richter\My Pictures before I right click on it. When I right click the address bar, I do not see an option to " edit address" but I only see 'Cut, Copy,Paste, Delete, Show unicode control, Insert unicode control. I guess I am one step closer, as I tried using "C:\Documents and Settings\C.Richter\My Pictures\MARS1 and this time got Error 7.

I am still working on this one Shaun. I am using XP. Address bar shows C:\Documents and Settings\C.Richter\My Pictures before I right click on it. When I right click the address bar, I do not see an option to " edit address" but I only see 'Cut, Copy,Paste, Delete, Show unicode control, Insert unicode control. I guess I am one step closer, as I tried using "C:\Documents and Settings\C.Richter\My Pictures\MARS1 and this time got Error 7.

MARS1.jpg?

You can right click and use "Copy" then click inside the path constant and press "CTRL V". It will paste the path into the constant.

Edited by ShaunR

MARS1.jpg?

In their infinite wisdom, Microsoft have determined that file extensions are too hard for you, so the default is to hide them and show you an icon instead. This is one of the first things I turn off on a new machine. In Windows Explorer menu (press "Alt" if no menu is showing, another dubious UI improvement), choose Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Advanced Settings and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".

Since the extension is really part of the file name, I don't understand where the obsession with hiding it comes from, but things will make more sense after you turn off that option.

In their infinite wisdom, Microsoft have determined that file extensions are too hard for you, so the default is to hide them and show you an icon instead.

This bugs me too. We've had some files in our version control that are things like Document.doc.doc and a few times Document.doc.pdf.