Getting started in Labview programming

Texrat

Greetings! I'm new to Labview (we have 6.1) but a longtime Visual Basic programmer and designer/tech. I've been tasked with running a long series of software acceptance tests on one of our product consoles and I can see a great potential for automating it to shorten cycle time and reduce errors.

Specifically, I want to design a code module that periodically captures data from the DAQ and saves it to a file, then prompts the user to change a value on the console and continue. At the conclusion of the test the user will print the contents of the file for a record.

Problem is, I can't find the manuals at this facility and am having trouble finding resources on the internet. Can anyone point me toward a good beginner's starting point?

Many thanks!

Greetings!  I'm new to Labview (we have 6.1) but a longtime Visual Basic programmer and designer/tech.  I've been tasked with running a long series of software acceptance tests on one of our product consoles and I can see a great potential for automating it to shorten cycle time and reduce errors.

Specifically, I want to design a code module that periodically captures data from the DAQ and saves it to a file, then prompts the user to change a value on the console and continue.  At the conclusion of the test the user will print the contents of the file for a record.

Problem is, I can't find the manuals at this facility and am having trouble finding resources on the internet.  Can anyone point me toward a good beginner's starting point?

Many thanks!

1516[/snapback]

Here is a link to reference manuals software and hardware

http://www.ni.com/support/reference.htm

If you are really new to LabVeiw here is a link to the basic 6 hour course.

http://www.ni.com/academic/lv_training/how_learn_lv.htm

the course is designed around ver 7.0

If possible I would recommend upgrading to 7.1 espessally if you are just starting out.

In Ver 7.0 the concept of express VIs was introduced which makes it easier for

novice LabView programmers to get up and running quicker. Express Vis are not present in

ver 6.1

If you decide LabView is for you then take a basics training course or you can also

purchase an interactive CD course.

I've help a couple of coworker change from a VB to LabView.

The most difficult hump to overcome was understanding dataflow.

• 4 years later...

QUOTE (mballa @ Aug 24 2004, 12:35 PM)

Here is a link to reference manuals software and hardware

http://www.ni.com/support/reference.htm

If you are really new to LabVeiw here is a link to the basic 6 hour course.

http://www.ni.com/academic/lv_training/how_learn_lv.htm

the course is designed around ver 7.0

If possible I would recommend upgrading to 7.1 espessally if you are just starting out.

In Ver 7.0 the concept of express VIs was introduced which makes it easier for

novice LabView programmers to get up and running quicker. Express Vis are not present in

ver 6.1

If you decide LabView is for you then take a basics training course or you can also

purchase an interactive CD course.

I've help a couple of coworker change from a VB to LabView.

The most difficult hump to overcome was understanding dataflow.

The 6 hours intro is a good start, concentrate on the dataflow as it is the main idea of LV.

I used to be a VB programmer as well, since 2006, I started working at NI as Applications Engineer I fully

moved to LabVIEW - probably permanently :) .

So keep practising and wiring you will be just fine. However, can you move to a later version of LV rather than

work with such an old version 6.1.

QUOTE (Minh Pham @ Oct 1 2008, 11:33 PM)

The 6 hours intro is a good start, concentrate on the dataflow as it is the main idea of LV.

I used to be a VB programmer as well, since 2006, I started working at NI as Applications Engineer I fully

moved to LabVIEW - probably permanently :) .

So keep practising and wiring you will be just fine. However, can you move to a later version of LV rather than

work with such an old version 6.1.

Hi Minh,

I see you're very enthusiastic about LAVAG and that's real great... but this topic is 4 years old. ;)